Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 PM

Default How fishy?

Was my call on the flop that fishy?
16-1 odds with just 2 overcards and backdoor draws.

Also, should I have 3-bet pre-flop, even OOP?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (16.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 22.50 BB

Hero has Kh Ah (straight, ace high).
UTG has Js Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
Button has Qh As (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 22.50 BB.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 PM

Default Re: How fishy?

Not fishy at all. You had the outs to call this turn for sure with the gutshot alone.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:06 AM

not fishy at all. its a good flop call given the odds you are getting. Must watch for reverse domination from hands like KJ, AJ etc though.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:30 AM

Good call on the flop, particularly given that PFR, the most likely player to reverse dominate you, had folded. 3-bet PF and hope someone caps for you. This is a premium hand. You want as much money in as you can get in and position be damned. You could bet the turn too. Make a note of UTG. Didn't raise his pocket jacks PF, sandbagged on the flop even when he had seen a bet called by three who he'd have to believe would call another one back to them, and then decided to play on the turn. File under clueless.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:34 AM

Gotta 3bet preflop. Your hand is way, way too good.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:04 AM

raise/cap preflop, you might wanna c/r the turn
Old 05-19-2006, 05:26 AM

Grunch:

3-bet preflop, AKs is a monster. You have a huge edge against so many people, you must exploit it.

After 3-betting I lead this flop against 3 villains, I usually check against more. The call is good, you had a lot of outs (overs, BDFD, weak BDSD).
Old 05-19-2006, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you might wanna c/r the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] no
Old 05-19-2006, 08:43 AM

I would 3-bet preflop (and then check the flop, versus this many people).

Postflop is perfect.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise/cap preflop, you might wanna c/r the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Just call.

UTG has a monster (your A and K "outs" aren't looking very good anymore). You shouldn't have to look at the results to know that. And you have good relative position for the river.

Edit: Er, okay, we don't know about UTG's turn checkraise yet when we get the opportunity to make one. So I don't hate the idea. Among other things, we could have an equity edge versus four remaining opponents, with our overcards, gutshot, and nut flush draw. We might even buy a couple of A or K outs, if BB or UTG has us reverse-dominated.

I still think I prefer a call, though.

Edit 2: Eh, never mind. It's probably at least close, and it's possible a checkraise is best. It's an ususual spot, though, so checkraising shouldn't be your instinct here or anything.