Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Average SMP IQ.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Instead of sitting around quoting IQ scores at each other (which is, let's face it, a barely disguised 'size' comparison of another sort), I suggest we do something more interesting, and design an 'improved' intelligence scoring system. I confess my suggestion is motivated by me coming to the conclusion that these online multi choice tests are [censored] - I just did four chosen at random and scored 131, 138, 140 and 152. I then did another where I just went through randomly clicking... and scored 128. Hmmmm.

Some initial ideas:

1 - There should be no time limit. Take it home and work on it for a week if you like.

2 - There should be 'essay' type questions and 'calculation' type questions, but no multiple choice questions. Some questions should have open ended answers, and some should be very specific.

3 - Free access to any book in a well stocked library AND to the internet.

So, sample questions could be something like:

"What makes most of the dust that exists now?"

"Which of these numbers is higher; a 5 in a hexagon in a hexagon, or a g with a little 64 just to the right of it?"

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

??

[/ QUOTE ]

1) You don't think that more intelligent people solve problems faster?

2) Open ended answer questions are too subjective and therefore impossible to mark for this purpose. Who decides how points are scored?

3) Why?

Also I don't like the questions for the reason's furryshade has allready mentioned.

I like the idea of attempting it though, and would happily be involved in any work involved if a few of us decided to give it a go.

I think the discussion around it would be good in any event.

Scrap that, the only thing it would do is start a 'define intelligence' thread that would go nowhere. (Read above, or the other thread currently running on the subject.)

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - To a small extent, yes, but I dislike 'timed' tests generally as I think far too much weight is given to how fast someone can solve a purely computational problem. Certain autistic savants could pretty much destroy anyone on this forum in timed numeracy tests, but I would not rate them as particularly intelligent because of this.

2 - Open ended questions are harder to mark, certainly, but test thinking on a completely different level to 'specific goal' type questions. And they're not that much harder to mark, as they essentially test what overall 'level' of problem solving you can attain.

3 - Because I'm not convinced that random knowledge is in any way a good arbiter, and giving free access to google levels that playing field. There was one question I saw on some test that struck me as insanely stupid: "what is the national sport of Afghanistan?" Ok, I happen to remember reading somewhere that its called Buzkashi, but how does that test how clever I am?