Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: 11 million dollar verdict against Fred Phelps

[ QUOTE ]
This judicial verdict was a bad idea. However, congress should have stepped in and made it legal to do anything you want to the people in the phelps cult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a very good step would be to get some local government officials with some balls.

This type of behavior would work better than any law.

Say for example, I am the Elected Sheriff of a small GA town. A local soldier's funeral is coming up, I get a call from Phelps telling me he's going to protest at the funeral.

"Sir, that is your first amendment right, and I will not infringe on it. However, I do not have the manpower nor the resources to protect you, so you will need to employ your own security force."

Then you have guys show up and arrest the security force for the slightest violations.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

MidGe, these are the people we hate, not the homosexuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we wonder how bigotry and racism still exist. Obviously these folks have never read a bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to there website. Apparently there problem is that they DID read the bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever read the bible? I'd be suprised if you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Parts. I prefer non-fiction to fiction though. I know quite a bit about it though. There are plenty of quotes that support their actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although there are parts of the Bible that may support the position that homosexuality is immoral, it definitely doesnt sanction the hateful actions of the Phelps group. I wont really say much more on this, as I dont want this to devolve into an SMP debate on the Bible. I do think the Constitutional question is interesting though. I dont really see this as political speech per se, but I'm no legal expert.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 PM

For those worried about the First Amendment impact of this ruling, where should we draw the line wrt protests?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 AM

we should have a poll where we decide which of their signs is the funniest
Old 11-02-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately Semper Fi [censored]
Old 11-02-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was gonna be my fav. also

hahaha everyone should watch this . when is the US media gonna get the idea that these people are to be made fun of on national television, if they're on the air at all? Not legitimized by setting up debates with them
Old 11-02-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, the family should be able to bury their son in peace without some nutjobs harassing them. But if they are on public property and aren't disrupting anything I don't see what they can do about it. People should be allowed to protest, and almost anything worth protesting is bound to offend someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure about the legal aspect of this, but couldnt it be possible for the government (or whoever deals with this) to put up a "no-protesting-area" inside a 1000 feet radius of the church for a few hours while the funeral is going on? Or are anyone allowed to have an organized protest wherever whenever they feel like?

I think there should be a way to keep those [censored] out of the way during the funeral, and if they feel it is important to protest they can do that somewhere away from the place where the funeral is taking place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think some old fashioned vigilante justice is the answer, rather than more laws, but that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better not say anything that could be construed as offensive to anyone bigger than you, I guess.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunatly the police were there people not too happy about Phelps

[/ QUOTE ]

Down where I live the Klan is still active, and I've known several officers assigned to work the protest when the Klan exercises their 1st Amendment rights to speak on the courthouse steps who've "had miscommunications" or "lost radio contact" during the protests and didn't seem to realize a violent incident was occuring. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, public employees neglecting their duty to protect the rights and safety of citizens is cool. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. It is not the duty of Law Enforcement officials to "protect the safety" of anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Why do they have to "lose radio contact" then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you do have a duty to stop it IF YOU SEE IT.

Obviously, they couldn't see it if they were across the street at the coffee shop, leaving one officer on watch who lost radio contact, and was unable to find a tactical solution to the altercation, so he had to "run" across the street to get the other officers to back him up, at which point the fight had dispersed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why the wink?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was gonna be my fav. also

hahaha everyone should watch this . when is the US media gonna get the idea that these people are to be made fun of on national television, if they're on the air at all? Not legitimized by setting up debates with them

[/ QUOTE ]

That made my night, there needs to be more of that, seriously, I can't believe Colbert or someone hasn't gotten into this goldmine of hillarity.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, the family should be able to bury their son in peace without some nutjobs harassing them. But if they are on public property and aren't disrupting anything I don't see what they can do about it. People should be allowed to protest, and almost anything worth protesting is bound to offend someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure about the legal aspect of this, but couldnt it be possible for the government (or whoever deals with this) to put up a "no-protesting-area" inside a 1000 feet radius of the church for a few hours while the funeral is going on? Or are anyone allowed to have an organized protest wherever whenever they feel like?

I think there should be a way to keep those [censored] out of the way during the funeral, and if they feel it is important to protest they can do that somewhere away from the place where the funeral is taking place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think some old fashioned vigilante justice is the answer, rather than more laws, but that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better not say anything that could be construed as offensive to anyone bigger than you, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Utterly ridiculous position. You're not going to get a huge mass of the American public to deal with this situation just because "You pissed off someone bigger than you".

No one is going to attack a protest alone.