Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Wii: Pro-Evo Soccer (Winning 11)

Looks like Konami may be making the better soccer game, both graphically and control-wise:

"On the contrary, PES2008 on Wii looks every bit as realistic as its hi-def cousins and, if initial thoughts prove right, it could well offer a greater level of control and freedom in terms of gameplay."

Basically, you use analog to move and b to pass, like normal games...but "the cursor is used to accurately pass the ball, so if you want to thread a looping through ball to a winger (rather than the obvious guy standing nearby) simply move the target over the runner's head and press pass."

you can also use it to "'order' off-the-ball players to make runs. Again, simply click the cursor over their heads and then drag in the direction you want them to run. They'll then scuttle off, leaving you to knock in a well-weighted ball they can latch on to. There's no limit to the number of players you can move around either, so there's no reason why a skilled player couldn't send one player off on a dummy run while crossing the ball into the path of a player they've sent in another direction."

so, it sounds great in theory...we'll see how it plays out, though

if done properly, u can start accurately making leading passes and having the other players actually make smart runs...one hand can control ur guy while the other controls the other player...if done right, then skill could be even greater than ever

Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Wii: Pro-Evo Soccer (Winning 11)

oh yeah, link to ign preview: http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826603p1.html
Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 PM

sounds kinda clunky if you ask me.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:03 PM

well u can play the game without ever using the wii pointing functionality if u want...so u can play it normally like before

me, i'll be directing real-time strategies making my players run and pinpointing precisely where i want to pass the ball to
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sounds kinda clunky if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I agree. the idea is nice in theory. So was the Wii. It's fallen short as designers try to figure out ways to incorporate the new controller. Yet there hasn't been a successful tennis game produced yet. I wish they would quit messing around with games that don't translate well (or they try to over compensate) Use the pointer to select player = fine. This whole swipping thing = clunky.

I can't wait for skateboarding. Hey you know those finger boards kids have? Let's make that the control scheme.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 PM

I'm not sure on this.

On one hand this was one of my early thoughts when I read about the wii. As said above, in theory it sounds great to use the pointer to tell guys where to go, where to pass the ball.

In practice I think it will be somewhere in the range of awful control scheme to one that is great but has a very steep learning curve and the guys that have mastered the controls will wipe the floor with guys who haven't or don't use the pointer but most won't find it worth it to learn them. It seems unlikely that it will be easy to pick up and also very good.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 AM

I don't think they can screw this one up. PES is the best game ever. EVER!!!