Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Human Weapon on History Channel

[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys feel about the hosts? I didn't like either of them at first, but the little guy is growing on me because he actually knows how to fight. The big guy though sucks nuts, "Oh I used to wrestle but these little guys are so fast!"

[/ QUOTE ]

The little guy is obviously a much better fighter, but he acts like an arrogant little twerp. Dunno if it's just the show or what but he acts like he can listen to 1 second of explanation and totally understand/master some fighting move. The big guy is really a terrible fighter, no speed, no balance, turns his head away from flurries, but he's way more likeable, humble and funny.

Anyway, the Savate episode was the best yet IMHO, I hope it keeps getting better.

I've been wondering if they're going to do Kung Fu, because in any serious Kung Fu style it's forbidden for a master to teach the high level techniques to a novice.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:00 PM

There's a list out of all the shows they're going to do, and kung fu is one of them, but that's pretty bogus, since there are over 300 styles of kung fu and they're incredibly varied. Lots are just completely different from each other, even pretty much opposite. I don't think you could even fairly call kung fu a style. It's more like just a westernized concept of the fighting styles of a country.

So I'm curious what type or types of kung fu they will pick to represent that wide variety of arts, but I have a feeling it is not going to represent kung fu well.

Re high level techniques, these guys only have a week, so it's very unlikely they'll come close to mastery of even low level techniques of any style. High level techniques will require a foundation they don't have, and they wouldn't understand them. With this show, we basically have to just enjoy the travelogue flavor, the introduction to low-level concepts, and see if our hosts have any luck applying any of them under some pressure in a match. It's not gonna be deep, and it's sure not going to test anything about the styles, but it can still be fun.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah if I recall, the only "holding it back" thing that really stands out -- taking into account that it's really not a show about killing each other -- is the thai boxing episode, where if I recall correctly we didn't see any leg kicks. And leg kicks are a huge feature of thai boxing.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were a few leg kicks in that fight, but it did seem that the Thai boxer was holding back a lot.