Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Post-workout carbs / Surge

From what I understand, ingesting sugary postworkout carbs creates an insulin spike that helps shuttle nutrients to the muscles. Now, I have always just drank a protein shake with 50g of protein in some milk after a workout, then like 60-90min later eating a decent meal with some carbs. From reading some articles like this

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

they recommend a split of 50/50 malto/dex. So would ideal be to buy some malto and dex and through it in my shake? Or how about along with my shake drinking a glass of OJ and eating some grapes?

If i asked this question on t nation everyone would say SUUUUUUUURGEEE, but I don't see why I would overpay when I could just buy some malto and dex for 1/4 the price. Is it worth it for other reasons though?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Post-workout carbs / Surge

Its got much higher quality whey protein that tastes like doo doo. You can mix your own on www.trueprotein.com or their like. But it'll likely taste pretty bad unless you cut down on the hydrolyzed whey. Surge is pretty well tweaked and the taste is better than other custom mixes I've tried. (Note: I've never tried premium flavorings. Maybe it covers the doo doo taste.)
Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 PM

Well Surge gives you convenience and "better" ratios, above anything. And when all the costs are tallied I don't think it is much more expensive at all (~$1.75/serving).Plus, though Thremp obv. disagrees, I think it tastes great.

Either way I definitely would recommend the PWO insulin spike. Has helped my recoveries a lot w/o adding any real body fat.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it tastes great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pls stop the hyperbole. Great would imply a greater amount of positive taste than good. Things that I can think of that taste good, but not "great".

American Cheese
Diet Soda
Green Tea
Blackened Chicken

Things that taste terrible:

Sugar Water

Things that taste like death:

Hydrolyzed Whey

Take your pick of where the ingredients come from.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:18 PM

you can also try gatorade + whey, or chocolate milk as some coaches recommend...i use surge cuz i don't think its much more expensive than a ton of milk or any other supp cocktail, plus i like the taste...there are also some other benefits or surge such as added BCAAs and hydrolyzed whey...
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM

trueprotein and surge were super expensive cause I'm home in Canada, so I just mix some plain Optimum Nutrition whey with dextrose (runs like $5/lb online) and some creatine. That's pretty much Surge sans the hydrologized gross protein.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:52 PM

I'm using Torrent from Universal Nutrition, really good stuff. It has 52g simple carbs, 26g of which is dextrose and the rest is waxy maize starch which is all the rage now cause it's absorbed super fast with no bloating. It also has 7g of leucine and 20g hydrolyzed whey protein. Kind of expensive, but worth it in IMHO.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Choc Milk + Sweet Tarts FTW
Old 07-13-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Choc Milk + Sweet Tarts FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on my 3rd week of Starting Strength and I'm too poor for supplements besides whey powder. My PWO meal consists of 50g of whey powder mixed w/ about 8oz of water and chugged at the gym immediately following my session, followed by a 36oz of gatorade and one package of skittles on the way home. It works out to a pretty good ratio of 50g protein to 100g simple carbs.