Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Should I have been mad? I was!!!!!

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...mp;Board=beats
Old 03-15-2007, 03:36 PM

I don't mind postflop, and I like checkraising the flop rather than leading out.

The preflop limp/call with AK is not good. Maybe playable with AA/KK, but AK is too vulnerable. Open raising is standard. Limping isn't terrible, but you need to limpreraise. You don't mind if villain folds to the limpreraise.

You obviously confused villain as played and got your money in a huge favorite. Bad luck with the river. The limp/call is not all the bad, but it tends to lead to situations like this where you win or lose a big pot.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Thanks I am starting to see how he might have thought about me. One thing is, I was chip leader and had always shown down great hands and had not lost a hand yet. I thought he would back off. Great post
Old 03-15-2007, 03:42 PM

Just be glad villian raise on the river.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping isn't terrible, but you need to limpreraise. You don't mind if villain folds to the limpreraise.

[/ QUOTE ] I'd missed that villian raise pre-flop. Agree with Betgo that that was your chance to get your money in or,with a reasonable villian, take the now much nicer pot down.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:20 PM

Yah Hammer the Ace King man - Give him no chance of taking the Risk of Calling So he can Hit that 4 -Prob all in or 1/2 your Stack -Pre Flop - and if he Calls thats Poker -
Old 03-15-2007, 04:31 PM

I was going for deceptive and decived my chip stack.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind postflop, and I like checkraising the flop rather than leading out.

The preflop limp/call with AK is not good. Maybe playable with AA/KK, but AK is too vulnerable. Open raising is standard. Limping isn't terrible, but you need to limpreraise. You don't mind if villain folds to the limpreraise.

You obviously confused villain as played and got your money in a huge favorite. Bad luck with the river. The limp/call is not all the bad, but it tends to lead to situations like this where you win or lose a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on...

LOL at villian for checking river........ [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2007, 05:05 PM

As I read you and got to the results, I was fully expecting vilain to show AQ here. Vilain got quite lucky on the river and it sucks (bad).

The trade off in how you played the hand versus the standard raise pre-flop, bet big on the flop and shove the turn is variance. You have to be fully aware of it and what it means.

In a tournament there a key points where you want variance and other times where you do not want to much variance and you have to play accordingly and accept that you will get the good and bad sides of variance. It is all situationnal.

Key informations missing in your post is the stack of vilain and where the tournament is at. By the size of the stacks it looks like just before or after the bubble, a criticical time. If vilain as something like 9 or 10 k then I think that betgo approach is clearly a very good one to consider. You are table chip leader, why would you want to take a high variance approach agaisnt a stack that can cripple you? If you put in a nice size re-raise (not a min raise here!!) vilain will fold most of the time and you will rake in a nice size pot, be a bigger table chip leader and be able to steal, resteal and simply pick up the chips from desperate all ins from short stacks. It does not look like you need to take the high variance approach here because you are already doing good. There are other situations where limping with AK and playing soft is a great approach but not here.