Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Switch Xorbie and Chuckles roles?
Yes 8 88.89%
No 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Real Life Man of Genius - Emergency Lane Blocker Guy

Also, this has been discussed before, but a couple people now have claimed that jumping the line in traffic is somehow more economical than people merging as quickly as possible to prevent a huge clot of traffic, forcing everyone to merge at 2mph instead of at highway speeds.

I'm probably being obtuse here, but it'd seem like a thin, steady stream of flowing traffic would be better than getting to the bottleneck and jamming everything through at once.

I can listen to an efficiency argument that dictates that early merging is not optimum, but I'll never blithely accept someone thinking that they are better than everyone else who has to wait, while absolutely slowing me down more.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What a lot of you are failing to realize is that a large percentage of people taking the shoulder are using it to get to an exit. Whether that exit is half a mile ahead or ten miles ahead STILL DOES NOT AFFECT YOU.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong again. Everyone is ultimately going to an exit, not just you. Whether it be one exit, or 10, or 100, we're all exiting too. But if there is a traffic jam that is bottlenecking things, you cutting ahead of me serves to ONLY PUT ONE EXTRA CAR BETWEEN ME AND GETTING WHERE I NEED TO GO.

How is this difficult to understand?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 AM

Everyone involved in this is a douchebag, the people using the lane and the guy blocking it.

Questions like this have been asked before, and my answer is always the same. It's better to let 100 d'bags fly past me in the lane, then it is to be the biggest d'bag who pulls out in that lane and stops someone who actually has a reason to be in a hurry ie pregnant lady in passenger seat, or someone who will run out of gas if they don't get off quickly on the next exit.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone involved in this is a douchebag, the people using the lane and the guy blocking it.

Questions like this have been asked before, and my answer is always the same. It's better to let 100 d'bags fly past me in the lane, then it is to be the biggest d'bag who pulls out in that lane and stops someone who actually has a reason to be in a hurry ie pregnant lady in passenger seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wonderfully put.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 AM

Being a a self-centered sociopath is no excuse for being a douchebag. We're trying to have a civilized society here.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:08 AM

mrkilla - Really. You have license trouble. Really. Can't afford another ticket. Really. Never would have guessed. It's just amazing that one [censored] driver would empathize with others.

otnemem - please address the numerous comparisons between driving in the breakdown lane to cut ahead of others and cutting in line in other areas of life. Everyone else understands why this is the same thing, but you haven't explained why it isn't.

[ QUOTE ]
And an added note: Only people who don't know how to drive would consider me an [censored] driver. If 50 people are passing you in the right lane, you're the [censored], not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive 90 in a 70, rarely have 1 person pull up behind me wanting to pass. However, when they do, I promptly pull into the right lane. I am not oblivious to others.

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Also, you should look up the word "empathize." I don't drive in the shoulder, so how could I empathize with people who do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either the greatest level I've seen recently or the worst insult backfire evar. I'll bite if it's a level. Why don't YOU look up the word and get back to me with why my statement was wrong, because I used the word absofuckingperfectly.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
otnemem - please address the numerous comparisons between driving in the breakdown lane to cut ahead of others and cutting in line in other areas of life. Everyone else understands why this is the same thing, but you haven't explained why it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not based on scientific research, but again I'll say that I believe most people driving in the shoulder intend to exit before the accident/cause of traffic. Also, if I see someone coasting in the left lane, I'll absolutely block them from getting back in in front of me. But I'm not going to try to stop them from getting into the shoulder.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And an added note: Only people who don't know how to drive would consider me an [censored] driver. If 50 people are passing you in the right lane, you're the [censored], not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive 90 in a 70, rarely have 1 person pull up behind me wanting to pass. However, when they do, I promptly pull into the right lane. I am not oblivious to others.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have no idea what this has to do with anything. My point was that most people aren't like you, which causes most of the supposed assh-le driving on the road.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Also, you should look up the word "empathize." I don't drive in the shoulder, so how could I empathize with people who do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either the greatest level I've seen recently or the worst insult backfire evar. I'll bite if it's a level. Why don't YOU look up the word and get back to me with why my statement was wrong, because I used the word absofuckingperfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you didn't. In order to empathize with someone, you need to do more than identify the thoughts and feelings of other people - you need to actually feel them. I've never driven in the shoulder at great lengths, and I have no idea what it feels like to have every driver on the road irate, apparently to the point of psychosis, so no, I can't empathize with people who drive on the shoulder. But I'm not going to debate the English language with you.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 AM

Whatever. The guys flying down the shoulder, I hope they crash or get ticketed. Then I go back to day dreaming or singing along to music.

Once I realized that I can just stop worrying about crap like this, the happier I became. Do I think they are douchebags? Of course. And I would think the SUV blocking the lane was really funny. But I wouldn't do it. Just in case someone is having a heart attack or a women in labor.

Getting worked up over things that are out of your control is pointless. Now if I was in line at the stadium waiting for tickets to a concert/game, and someone cut in line, you can control that. Speak up. Everyone in line will back you up.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever. The guys flying down the shoulder, I hope they crash or get ticketed. Then I go back to day dreaming or singing along to music.

Once I realized that I can just stop worrying about crap like this, the happier I became. Do I think they are douchebags? Of course. And I would think the SUV blocking the lane was really funny. But I wouldn't do it. Just in case someone is having a heart attack or a women in labor.

Getting worked up over things that are out of your control is pointless. Now if I was in line at the stadium waiting for tickets to a concert/game, and someone cut in line, you can control that. Speak up. Everyone in line will back you up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever been to Six Flags Great Adventure? No way in hell am I speaking up about line-cutters.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:29 AM

The guy in the SUV is the douche because he drives an SUV.