Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ohio St 11-0
1 38 90.48%
2 2 4.76%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

[ QUOTE ]
As far as mistakes go, Doyle made a pretty costly one.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's too bad he couldn't pay a 5% fee and get his money back.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 PM

I dont usually post here, but what the hell, the Brunson-Gold hand will probably go down in poker history, here's my 2 cents:

People who really dislike Doyle's fold because Gold is such a bad player are totally missing the point. Gold aint THAT bad, and even bad players get cards sometimes.

I think its clear Doyle read Gold like a book (all the pros seem to be able to do this) and knew this time he had strength. There were still 2 spades out there to beat Doyle, certainly Gold having one of those 2 (and another spade) was possible. It was also obvious Doyle knew it was possible Gold had a lower flush, or a very small chance of even a worse hand.

What I think Doyle also "read" was that Gold was certainly looking to go all in with his hand (despite his failure to value bet and his habit of just calling with winners, I think it was clear he wanted to go all in with Doyle here). So, do you risk 500K to find out if he has one of those other 2 possible higher flushes or not?

All you guys who argue for yes have good points but are, I think, forgetting that its FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Just like in my game I may make that call for $50 but not for $500 - Doyle figures its overall worth a $50K or so bet, but not a $500k bet. Takes a lot of play to get back a 500K mistake, even for Doyle Brunson, and so he chose not to risk it. I cant say it was wrong by any stretch.

Skallagrim
Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tip dealers with that kind of money.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 PM

Ask Daniel Negreanu if he wishes he had folded some of the hands he got coolered on a couple of years ago.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:34 PM

I cant figure out what was the oddest thing from this episode?

was it how doyle played his flush vs Gold?
was it all the limping?
was it how Antonio played his AA vs Barry?

That was very odd. Are we looking at a lot of scared money or just an off day for a couple guys?

Also i hope PA inst just taking up space next episode.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doyle's fold is bad, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this for an idea:
Let's say that Doyle is brilliant and that after betting $25K into a $20K flop he did not believe that Jamie's raise to $125K + the way Jamie was behaving = anything other than QsXs, JsXs or 9sXs. If this was Doyle's read then it turns out he was absolutely correct, and his fold was 100% the correct move. It would seem unlikely that Jamie put Doyle on having a flush and he definitely thought he had the best hand.

Between the 2 players it seems that Jamie's ability to read Doyle is very poor and Doyle's ability to read Jamie is very good and yet a bunch of idiots on this thread criticize Doyle for how he played that hand.

Everyone that said that Jamie could have had 2 pair, trips or a straight the way he was acting were wrong, we know this because we saw the holecards. Doyle from Jamie's behaviour thought he was VERY strong (as in a flush and not a little baby one), we know he was correct. Since Jamie had a hand in the range that Doyle thought he had then Doyle was correct in his read. Since Doyle did not KNOW the EXACT 2 cards in Jamie's hand he is human, but it does not mean that he played it badly.

This Doyle bashing by the idiots is completely results based, if Jamie had been holding Qs7S then no one would say that Doyle played it badly.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dissorono on the rocks.

Such a dumb commercial.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better buy a bottle if you want to see Season 5.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 PM

Todd Brunson should send his Dad to an old folks home, he's not that sharp anymore, or maybe play 2-4 LHE at the Imperial Palace.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Todd Brunson should send his Dad to an old folks home, he's not that sharp anymore, or maybe play 2-4 LHE at the Imperial Palace.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like to comment on something that WAS unusual though.
None can deny that Antonio played the AA hand against Barry like a retard.
Some people in this thread tried to explain it as playing with scared money etc.
More likely is that his strategy for this session was to stay away from confrontations with the better players at the table and focus more on Jamie and especially Guy.
But even if you consider that he still played the hand horribly.

So I`m gonna point out something that was probably overlooked.
Antonio played on every HSP season so far and IIRC every time he had AA he lost big pots with them.
I don`t know how superstitious he is but he might have thought: "Here we go again..."
It`s a long shot I know but I also do know that many live pros are affected by superstition to the point that it screws up their game from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Antonio himself (http://alwaysbluff.com/poker/blogs/b...oker-season-4/)

Recently I played a hand on High Stakes Poker that, more than any other hand for me illustrates the difference between big and small stack poker. It makes a world of a difference when you have an abundant amount of chips in front of you and so does your opponent. You never want to risk your entire stack, especially in a cash game, unless you pretty much have the nuts. A very interesting hand recently came up on High Stakes Poker that I would like to discuss.

The game had a 500k buy in; yes, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS just to sit down, no limit holdem. That’s a lot of cheese so of course so I will be playing very carefully. I had aces in the one hole and decided to limp. There was a lot of raising going on and I wanted to put in the reraise and just get it over with before the flop, but ultimately no one did raise. I hate aces in a multi-way pot especially when everyone is super deep. More big pots are lost with Aces in my opinion than any other hand. A few limpers, no raise, flop comes A 4 8, all spades. Berry Greenstein, a very good player whose game I respect tremendously, leads right out. For him to lead out into multiple players tells me he, for sure, has a hand. There is no way in the world he is bluffing. He might be betting with the king of spades, but that is highly unlikely. It was just obvious he had something. I cannot raise here because there are players behind me and I certainly wouldn’t want to get reraised and possibly have to throw my hand away, so I call. Everyone folds (which I don’t mind btw). The turn, I think, was a red queen. I haven’t seen the show yet so I am going off of memory, though the card was insignificant. He leads again. Here is where it gets interesting. He led on the flop, I called and now he is leading right out into me again. Now I am 100% sure he has a hand. He either has a flush, two pair or a smaller set. That’s it. He can’t have anything else. If he has a flush then I certainly don’t want to raise. If he has 2 pair, raising is not the best move either because he will more than likely realize that his hand is no good and muck. Remember Barry is a wizard. He would know his hand was no good here. The only thing that I would hope for would be for him to have a smaller set and even then if I do raise and he calls, if and when the board doesn’t pair, he will probably not pay off the river anyway. So with all that said I think calling was, in fact, the best option. The river brought a red king. He led again. At this point I didn’t think he had the 2 pair. If he had a 2 pair it would be any variation of the flop 2 pair…I didn’t think he had this hand because I was early position limper here I could easily have had the A Q or the A K. It was either a set or the flush and I thought the flush was way more likely than the set, although his bet on the river was more on the weak side I still saw no benefit in raising here. If I raise the river for sure 100 % he mucks. So with all those factors considered I think I played the hand correctly. If I thought there was any chance of a call on the river a value raise would have been correct and against your average player I might have done so, but against a wizard I see no value. I made the call and a crying one at that (I really did put him on the flush) and he showed me the 8 -4 for a two pair.

Maybe one day I will learn this game.

Antonio