Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Heisman Rankings

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else notice that the U of Oregon took out an ad on ESPN before their game hyping him for the Heisman?

What do you thing that cost to run, a little 30 second spot...

And where did the cash come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Knight or the football program in general. It's stupid and obnoxious (IMO), but I doubt they're jacking everyone's tuition 50 bucks to pay for it.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else notice that the U of Oregon took out an ad on ESPN before their game hyping him for the Heisman?

What do you thing that cost to run, a little 30 second spot...

And where did the cash come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same place as their stadium upgrades?

They did the same type of thing for Harrington.

b
Old 11-07-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, every single commentator on CFN has Dixon #1 this week. Herbstreit has him #1 as well and in a national poll on ESPN, over half the country said he's the frontrunner. Saying that he can't win the award because he plays in the Pac-Ten is borderline insane IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll believe it if it happens.

When's the last time someone from the pac 10, not USC, has won it?

I'm sure the excuse will be he's splitting votes with Stewart. So, not insane. Plausable actually.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

How many Pac 10 players have really been deserving? (Actually asking, I don't remember that well...although "Ryan Leaf" is not correct.)

Also, in defense of the West Coast conspiracy theorists, true, Dixon is the favorite, but this is several weeks late. At the very least Ryan being first after VaTech was a complete joke. Of course, I think "East Coast bias" is way down there on the list of reasons this happened. More important were the "He's on an unbeaten team", "He's a gritty white QB", "He's OMG clutch", and "He left it all on the field literally".
Old 11-07-2007, 02:37 AM

1. Dennis Dixon
2. Darren McFadden
3. Chase Daniel-Todd Reesing-Sam Bradford

that's all for now

oh yeah, Mike Hart for most overrated player--just look at the lack of production drop off with him out
Old 11-07-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah, Mike Hart for most overrated player--just look at the lack of production drop off with him out

[/ QUOTE ]

Other factors could be the reasons for a smaller drop off than expected. Michigan's other RB's could be really good. The opposing team's defense might be weaker when Hart's not in. Watch Hart run and try to convince yourself that he's not a very good RB. (btw...he's led the nation in rushing over the period he's been healthy.)
Old 11-07-2007, 04:45 AM

Fellow Michigan fans really, just stop. You can't be injured for as much of the season as Hart has been and still win. He was great when healthy, but his hopes are pretty much shot barring a 6843 yard 43 td performance against OSU.

But the sarcastic lack of production thing with him out is a bit much to say. Henne was injured for a decent amount of time Hart was healthy, and his return to old form undoubtedly helped out Minor and Brown, who are both apparently better than anyone thought. I love the guy to death, but he is not winning the Heisman.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:54 AM

Hart will make it to NYC simply b/c he'll get a ton of 3rd and 4th place votes. Is he the best back in the country, No, not even close. Does he mean more to his team on and off the field than any other back in the country? Arguably yes. Mike Hart is the epitome of what a collegiate athletic should be and voters will reward him for his outstanding career.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, every single commentator on CFN has Dixon #1 this week. Herbstreit has him #1 as well and in a national poll on ESPN, over half the country said he's the frontrunner. Saying that he can't win the award because he plays in the Pac-Ten is borderline insane IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll believe it if it happens.

When's the last time someone from the pac 10, not USC, has won it?

I'm sure the excuse will be he's splitting votes with Stewart. So, not insane. Plausable actually.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

That's stupid. It's like saying when's the last time someone from the ACC won the award that didn't play for Florida State? Well, Florida State dominated the conference for a while and there didn't happen to be any contenders the years that they didn't so no one else won the trophy. So, no one from the ACC but Florida State has ever won the trophy. Likewise, USC has won a lot of Pac-Ten titles and when they weren't winning, no Heisman candidates emerged, so no one else has won the trophy since 1970 (Jim Plunkett).

Also, if you do include USC (and why wouldn't you), the Pac-Ten has 3 of the last 5 Heisman trophies. The SEC which is supposedly the conference everyone favors only has 1 Heisman winner in the last 20 years (Danny Wuerffel). The idea that people still talk about West-Coast bias as if it's relevant to the modern-day is ridiculous.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I would have thought the opposite. I know the backups did okay against Illinois and eventually did good against Minnesota, but the traditional thinking was our backups kind of sucked in limited time. Might be a function of them not getting a chance to get into a rhythm or something as backups.

The dropoff was there against State, and the first half against Minn, and all of 2005, but that isn't particularly relevant (esp since we had different backups now that Grady is hurt).

Sad thing is I find the Heisman one of the stupider awards given that it is an individual award that heavily factors in a team's record and status, so it sucks when my team has a player in contention at some point and I have to care about it.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Dennis Dixon
2. Darren McFadden
3. Chase Daniel-Todd Reesing-Sam Bradford

that's all for now

[/ QUOTE ]

vs. MSU Hart had 15 carries for 110 yards. Brown and Minor had 8 carries for 4 yards.