Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 12:24 AM

Default $50 NL: Hand Reading Exercise-You Make The Call

- What range do you put this guy on at the River and is a call profitable against that range?

- Do you like the flop check behind and turn call (instead of raise)?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($3.90)
BB ($20)
UTG ($98.55)
UTG+1 ($47)
MP1 ($70.25)
MP2 ($36.50)
MP3 ($38.75)
Hero ($51.50)
Button ($46.95)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $1.5</font>, MP3 calls $1.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $6.50, MP2 calls $5.50, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($23.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($23.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $5</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls $5.

River: ($33.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $15</font>, Hero ??
Old 09-08-2006, 12:30 AM

Default Re: $50 NL: Hand Reading Exercise-You Make The Call

I hate the flop and turn. Why would you do that? Standard would be to bet all 3 streets. As played you have to call the river as you've so severely underrepresented your hand. I personally like a min-raise to help make up for the value you probably missed.

Seriously, why the FPS?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:33 AM

pot the flop please
Old 09-08-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the flop and turn. Why would you do that? Standard would be to bet all 3 streets. As played you have to call the river as you've so severely underrepresented your hand. I personally like a min-raise to help make up for the value you probably missed.

Seriously, why the FPS?

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. Hard to comment on this hand because it was played so oddly.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pot the flop please

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-08-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pot the flop please

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FLOP
====
What range would you put an unknown on that raises, calls a good sized reraise PF? JJ-KK, AK, and maybe some mid pocket pairs and KQs for a loose player. I have 2 of the Aces, so AK is less likely from a stats point of view.

With the flop coming K-Q, if I pot it here, the only worse hand that calls is AK.

If my flop bet gets raised, then what? KK &amp; QQ may raise here or wait to give me the bad news on the Turn. AK could call here and may raise.

So if I pot the flop, 1 worse hand calls, all better hands call, and I may get raised by either a better or worse hand. I ALSO JUST COMMITTED MY ENTIRE STACK TO THIS HAND as now $30 of my $50 are in the middle of the table on the flop.

I am not really afraid of any draws here as A-J, A-T, and TJ are not calling PF, so I don't really need to protect my hand. As the saying goes 'Good players protect their stack, not their hand.'

TURN
====
Weak bet by MP1. He could be trying to suck me in with a monster, take it down since I showed weakness, or get some value from his AK. I am not as concerned with that bet being him trying to price himself into a draw as I have the Ah so he most likely isn't drawing to a flush.

RIVER
=====
1/2 PSB on the 3rd heart. He doesn't seem afraid of the heart. Maybe he didn't think I would reraise PF with AKs. His bet gives a little more weight to KQs.

If he had a lower PP he wouldn't bet as I obviously have a piece of this board since I called the Turn bet.

So, the only thing I beat here is AK. You think he has it often enough to call this?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, why the FPS?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are ~46BB in on the flop, so we aren't deep enough to bet all streets.

If I pot the flop and get called, the Turn pot will have $66 and I'll only have $20 behind.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 AM

It's really hard to get a read when your just check calling the whole way.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:35 AM

The way you played it his range is practically any two.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 AM

you call this a hand reading exercise, but as near as I can tell it's impossible to put him on a hand because of the way you played it....so you have to call this river.

I've read all your arguments for playing it the way you did, and I'll be the first to admit that there are a lot of ways to play NL hold'em, but without betting or raising you can't narrow down his range of hands. From what I've seen in my limited NL experience, the range of hands you put him on is ridiculously small. He limped then called the raise and re-raise. THen the flop gets checked around. He makes a crazy little bet on the turn. He could have literally almost any 2 cards. 33 and 66 are what I'd be most afraid of, or maybe KQ, but I think you might find him on a medium pair, or maybe he picked up the flush draw.

Just raising the turn would probably tell you where you were at. Make it 15 on the turn, then check behind on the river if he calls.