Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Phil Gordon is a Horse\'s Ass

at least he was honest enough to admit that out of 250 hands he had analyzed 200+ wrong.....
Old 07-18-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like PG and his books and DVD and website.

My problem with the commentary was that it was so basic ironically I felt there was not any "expert insight" for me in the commentary - I really think Daniel N , Hellmuth or possibly a lt of players could have given us more to get our teeth in to in the commentary - though perhaps ESPN had a policy of encouraging im to keep it simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they want him to keep it simple?

How many casual poker fans were watching the PPV last night?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like PG and his books and DVD and website.

My problem with the commentary was that it was so basic ironically I felt there was not any "expert insight" for me in the commentary - I really think Daniel N , Hellmuth or possibly a lt of players could have given us more to get our teeth in to in the commentary - though perhaps ESPN had a policy of encouraging im to keep it simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they want him to keep it simple?

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Gordon is probably a professional level player, but he is not in a league with someone like Negreanu. I just don't think he is capable of giving a sophisticated analysis. It is also true that they may want to keep it basic for the least common denominator.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:03 PM

Basically he was more abrasive after Hellmuth came on and told him he was out of his element.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 PM

I thought Gordon's commentary on the postflop play was better than his commentary on the preflop play. First of all, there were a bunch of standard resteal plays where he goes that's way too dangerous.

Then he comments on bet size and calling ranges without indicating the strategy behind it. First of all, Yang is a fish for making cEV- calls, but it is obvious that is the only way he can play an aggressive big stack.

Then Kravchenko was using this weak approach of completing the SB against Yang. It was obvious Yang would resteal lightly to a reraise. Kravchenko wants to avoid a big coin flip due to playout structure and his skill advantage. Also, he wants to keep the pot small and let Yang make mistakes postflop. Gordon did mention the possibility of a limpreraise.

Rahme is criticized for big open raises and overbet reraises allin and flop pushes. These plays seem donkish, but they do put pressure on other players. They make it harder for him to be outplayed postflop. Rahme probably knows he is over his head and wants to keep things simple.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 PM

I find it hilarious there are other threads going in this exact same forum severely bashing Yang and the way he played. It is more than fair to say most of the people bashing him have little or no major tournament success but feel they have the authority to call him a donkey etc. When someone like Gordon, who (like him or not) is a good poker player with a large amount of success criticizes Yang it's the end of the world.

That is called a double standard.

Oh and I don't think Gordon should be severely criticizing his play either. I just find it odd that before Yang even won, there were threads here titled "Do you hate Jerry Yang already" and such bashing him to no end. At least Gordon is doing his bashing out in the open versus hiding behind a computer screen and an anonymous user name.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 PM

Phil Gordon was awful. Hour after hour of him constantly criticizing people made the broadcast kind of depressing.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 PM

This was possibly the weakest FT in ME history. Nobody stood up to Yang all tournament. It was like he read Super System front to back the night before the final table.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sweated Phil Gordon for a bit over at Full Tilt tonight so that i could provide some positive and negative feedback on the broadcast. He estimated that the audience broke down to: 20% casual, 60% intermediate to advanced amatuer, and 20% professional or expert level.

FYI, he classified himself as an advanced amateur, which is why, he claimed, he tried leaving the more advanced analysis to the guests. I still think he dumbed down the broadcast too much (e.g. "you only hit the flop 35% of the time"), but he maintains that was necessary. I do recognize that it's bloody hard to analyze 3rd level thinking when you have no clue what any of the hole cards are.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he just called out 2p2 on the broadcast :<

[/ QUOTE ]Haha, that was funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone know what he said?