Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

Also to add, please state how many hours you have played in the last 5 months and earnings in that time.

and once again, PMs are now points because right now i'm in an inet cafe in Egypt and after this session i wont be online again until im home on wednesday morning and that's when i intend to pick the students, so i will have no chance to answer questions.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 PM

I have been trying to beat online poker for almost two years now. I used to think I knew everything, as I had read super system AND watched lots of the wsop on TV. But it seemed I just couldnt figure out poker, and continually went busto.

Im determined to learn how to play this game. Currently I have dropped all the way down to nl 10 and nl25 to really work at it. I post almost exclusively in strat forums, and the ones i dont post in I lurk frequently.

All I want is to get a better understanding of how to win at this game. I am very committed to learning, and I think you will find me an agreeable student. Currently I am a junior at Georgetown University, a well known US institution.

Since my junior year is busy, I dont have that much time to play. But I am beating the microstakes for 9bb/100 at the moment.

I want to move up fast. Ideally I would like to play poker as a side income, grinding nl100 or 200 for a couple thousand a month.

Please give me serious consideration, as I the type of person who will be most dramatically affected by your mentoring.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM

meme
Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM

i thought of you as someone who might want to be one of the mentors.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 PM

This sounds like something I would benefit a lot from. I have been playing poker for 2 years now, with lifetime earnings of about 30k. I used to have periods where I would start running bad, playing bad, tilting, and I would cash out a big chunk of my BR and start over. My latest one being at the end of august when I cashed out down to about 2500. BR is about 10k now, mainly playing 200NL, 100NL and rarely 400NL if I seen an especially good game.

I have several people I speak with on AIM about poker. I read a lot of strat posts on 2+2, and watch CR vids, but don't post too much myself, probably because of a lack of confidence in my game.

Goal: I want to move up to 5/10 or 10/20 within the next 8 months or sooner (maybe higher once I get there), and have less swings/breakeven streches as I move up.

I have played on average 12 hours a week at various games (SNGs, MTTs, NLHE cash, PLO cash), in the last 5 months. I have been moving up and down stakes, winning a total of about 10k.

I am a 23 year old college student, about to graduate.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM

This post makes me sad that I can't play online untill january [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Hi,

I started playing about 6 months ago. Read all the standard books. Read 2p2 and joined CR. Built a bankroll from scratch and am currently rolled for NL100. I put in about 30k hands a month plus study time. I have a good understanding of poker theory, but less success implementing it at the table.

My goal is a good winrate at NL 1/2. This would be a huge boost to my income, as I am currently 50% done a PhD program that pays me very little.

I primarily post strat in uNL section. While my advice may not be the best in the world, if you take a look at my posts you'll see they are thorough and well thought out.

Since I am a grad student, I have a good understanding of teaching and learning (my dissertation is on the connection between writing and learning). So while I may not be the most exciting poker candidate, I would be a productive and active member of the community. I gots potential baby.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:57 PM

You will mentor me, or I will kill this kitten.

No seriously please mentor me, winning player since '04 but still cant break through to the next level.

Mostly a cash player, but I've gone deep or scored in nlhe/horse/27triple draw/5 card draw MTTS. I have good fundamentals and poker understanding, but I'm still stuck playing low limits where everyone thinks the right way to play their top pair is to c/c the flop and c/r the turn, and I just cant stop firing apparently.

1. How you are currently improving your game
reading ssnl archives.
trying to think other peoples lines through while playing instead of my old habit of just deciding if i had the best hand and acting on that, or if i could get them to fold.
reading plo forum.
moving money away from stars and bodog [well to improve results, not game].
testing my previous theories of flop textures and when to fire/slow down, picked up a few things here by watching a good player.
trying to increase my turn/river aggression stats, getting easier with the above ^
trying to 3bet more pf, its hard to loosen my range there, but the villain giving me a lot more respect on the flop is nice.

2. Your poker goals.
Can't lie, more money is the goal.
I'd really love to improve on my NL headsup game.
Once I have a game I feel I can beat consistently I intend to set goals based on hand #'s a week, gradually increasing them every week or 2. I seem to have done worse in the past when I set monetary goals, so I'd rather set hand #s or fpps or something a little more arbitrary. However, I still have the goal of cashing 15k by March, and 50k total for next year.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings
<100nl now, some <5/10 limit hu, <50plo. small winner all 3.
~7k mtt earnings (out of ~150mtt, <15-20 buyins over $20)
~6k cash earnings

4. Sorry dont have any quality strategy posts, I thought I could figure out and dominate poker by myself until a few months ago. I am a thinking player and am pretty capable at hand analysis.

5. winning aggressive player [with leaks] needs help!
In my former life I was a php coder and web developer, I'm good with php/c/perl/mysql and also done a good amount of video editing w/ video vegas (produced a 15min frag movie [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

I play 20-30 hours a week currently but if was winning would and not constantly underrolled it would be a lot more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], winnings in the last 5mos are @ ~2000
Old 11-23-2007, 08:15 AM

this is one of the more generous posts on here.
Nice work Jay GL
Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 PM

1. Posting and reading threads in uNL/watching CR videos/reviewing hands with PT I felt needed more attention/also read the higher stakes forums when I get a chance/read alot of the wells
2. I want to be a consistent winning player. I just moved to 50NL so I want to crush that before I move up to SSNL. Once I move up I'll most likely be playing 100NL/200NL for awhile . I think moving up past those limits will be the real test for me from what I hear about the difference in skill levels. I want to move up to whatever stake I feel I can beat consistently/I'm most comfortable at. Whether that's 100NL/400NL/1000NL I'm not really sure at this point
3. 50NL around 2K. I find it hard to put in volume.
4. To be honest my strat posts are meh.. they're short and to the point. As far as theory/poo bah posts I intend to write one in the near future.
5. I'm 20. Engineering student from NY. I love playing/listening to music/web design/and other geeky [censored].
Closed Thread