Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

[ QUOTE ]

1. How you are currently improving your game.
I read more or less every post from UNL-MSNL every day (as well as every class/anthology post), I post hands regularly, I discuss hands on AIM with a number of 2p2ers, and I have recently begun seeking a coach - I had my first lesson the other day with Orange and intend to be doing trial coaching sessions with several others in mid-december when I get back to the game. I am incredibly dedicated to improve as I am sick and tired of grinding out a paltry winrate at the micros.

2. Your poker goals.
In short, I want to excel. I've never had as much of a problem getting "good" at anything in my life as poker, really. I've managed to pick up many many things in my life without much effort (knock on wood), but for some reason I can't seem to advance past "very mediocre" in this game. I've been grinding out 25/50nl for almost 200k hands now and just can't seem to get a good handle on the game, though I used to crush the PLO200 games back in the (pre-leg) days. I would like to be a solid winner at MSNL and to feel like I have excelled in the game, more than anything. I don't really have any desire to play HSNL in my life, but I realy aspire to be able to achieve solid success in mid stakes - like, the 5/10 games. And, as a student, the cash is of course a huge factor as well.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings
I just dropped back down (for the millionth time) to 50Nl after a shot-at-100NL-from-hell. I have about a 2.5bb/100 winrate at 50NL for WAAAAY too many hands and can't seem to get passed that. Net earnings in NLHE are a paltry 4-5kish. Net earnings from pre-legislation PLO was roughly 12kish.

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.
I can cue a specific example if its really neccessary, but I think a username search of my name makes the point. This is my second account (old account dates to '04) and I think to date i've probably made less than 10 posts that weren't strategy-related - a handful in the "legislation" forum and a handful in bbv. I respond to more threads than I create, but I tend to make longer responses than others to other peoples questions.

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.
I am capable and willing to run the site. Have reasonable experience webmastering, spend oodles of time on the internet every day, and would love to be able to "give back." I am hyper-competitive to a pretty absurd extent, which is the primary driving factor towards making me want to improve and excel at this game. I used to be a tournament chess player, which came to me much easier than poker. I am now a 3rd year at a small liberal arts college in Southern California, though I am currently studying abroad in Melbourne, Australia, and about to do 3 weeks of tramping in the South Island of New Zealand. I am also in the midst of the roughest downswing of my poker career and desperately seeking to retool my game, and this seems to be a great opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your consideration, and please let me know if you are willing to take me on. I would be incredibly grateful if you decide to do so.

Todd
Old 11-21-2007, 04:52 AM

Count me as being really keen to be a part of this.

1. How Im currently improving my game:

After a bad couple of months, about a month ago I took some time off to really look into the fundamentals of my game and found a number of things I could change/improve. With that and some coaching sessions that have been very helpful, as well as talking to other people on aim/irc I am now feeling really good about how I am playing and thinking about the game and have been getting solid results so far. Im trying to continually assess and improve on any and every aspect of my game.

2: My poker goals:

Continue playing poker as my main source of income until I finish studying in a few years - all the while moving up in stakes. I aim to continue to work on the emotional and discipline aspect of the game - avoid short term-results oriented thinking and be dedicated to putting in more hands in the best frame of mind possible. Medium term goal is to be a solid winner at the mid-stakes level, moving beyond that would obviously be desirable if I have the ability to do so.

3. Current stakes, previous results:

Currently playing 200NL. Past earnings total ~$30k. I grinded my way up from the microstakes on a $15 roll, started 3 years ago but had a long break in the middle there of ~1.5 years before coming back to poker and realizing I could actually make some money doing this.

4. I cant find any examples of good strat posts, but I have contributed in many ssnl threads discussing hands, posting hh's etc. Unfortunately I have never made any really great in-depth posts, probably because I feel I usually have more to learn than to teach.

5: About me:

Currently studying at uni, Business Degree with a language, Ive been playing 200nl since the start of the year as my sole source of income. Recently I have become extremely motivated to focus on improving my game and moving up, rather than be content to grind which actually resulted in me going backwards a bit as a player. Id be willing to help out with running the forums, making and uploading videos etc
Old 11-21-2007, 05:44 AM

Hi-

My name is Jamie Cohen. I'm 23 years old and currently live in Las Vegas with my fiance. I read your post and found it an intriguing opportunity. In the past, I managed my own Bakery business back in high school but had to stop when college started. That's when poker became my hobby and then my career.

I am currently supernova on stars and typically play 8-12 hours a day. I have a 1700 bad player list (smart buddy) in which i continuously monitor, and aim for the best situations. You could say I live, breath and sleep poker. Though my admiration for the game makes it enjoyable and very profitable.
Though I know I will never stop trying to improve my game since I will always be looking for perfection.

Over time my game has improved dramatically. I am constantly learning from card runners, books, and friends. Though I haven't had a 2p2 account for long, but since I've had it I've given as much advice as I can. For the most part I was trying to teach people around me. Although I, myself have been in a downward spiral ever since the wsop. So its hard to demonstrate to others what the "right" moves are when everything I do seems to be flawed. NLHE is my main game, and this year I will be going for Nova Elite.

In the last year, I have made 70k by playing 50-1 and 1-2. I also qualified for the WSOP through stars and won the Nova free roll for 10k. After my game feels like its back on course I would like to teach others who would like to learn as well. I would be willing to help out on the site and give advice to others as much as I could. I have a headset and mic as well.

Thanks for your time-
Jamie Cohen
Imeasy2read
Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 AM

Just make a video, srsly.

plz?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:05 AM

Hi not sure if im really the type of person your looking for but i figure its worth a shot. I dont really post here often, but read the forum daily. Im currently playing the lowest of the low NL(0.10) and have only recently started taking poker seriously(around 6 months ago).

1. How Im currently improving my game:

I am currently reading a couple of books and getting the grasp of the basic concepts (pot odds, implied odds etc). I am also putting in as much time as i possibly can to get as much first hand experience as possible. I also spend around an hour or so a day reading 2+2 strat posts and try to take in as much as possible from here.

2. My poker goals:

I would love to sustain being a winning player over a long period of time and move up to higher stakes, as im sure alot of people would heh. Ideal for me is earning a decent second income from poker, maybe around ~$400 a month. I could not see my self ever playing poker as a sole income and do not wish to do this. I enjoy poker this way and would like to go on enjoying the game for as long as i play.

3. Current stakes, previous results:

As i mentioned earlier im playing 10NL. Previously i would play more casually.Normally depositing $50-100 and playing 50NL until i busted/tilted. I lost a decent amount of money playing like this and have now decided to improve to the best of my ability. Ive only recently got over my tilt problems and now play within a bankroll. Ive put in around 11k hands so far and things arent going to badly winning at around 5ptb/100 (obv not a big sample of hands but its all i got).

4. About me:

Im a 22 year old male from uk. I work in ICT(server support) and have done so for nearly a year. Main hobbies are running, poker and drinking beer!

Cheers.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:05 AM

Apply in this thread with

1. How you are currently improving your game

I spend a lot of time reviewing hands, read most of the threads in all three nl forums, post a lot of strategy content. Spent a good portion of August and September retooling my game, studying pokertracker, doing calculations, rethinking everything about my approach, and since then I've been playing much better. I've recently begun coaching and putting together a theory-based curriculum has further helped me understand the strengths and weaknesses in my game.

2. Your poker goals.

To understand the game more deeply than I currently do, to increase the number of situations in which I am comfortable, to continue winning enough money to play full time, to play higher stakes. Specifically, I would like to spend the first few months of 2008 beating 2/4 and 3/6, and be beating 5/10 by the end of the year.

In 2007, I've played ~180k hands of nl200 @ 3.5 ptbb and ~50k hands of nl400 @ 4.0 ptbb. Tne nl400 was in April and May, didnt play much cash from wsop through wcoop. After that I moved back to nl200 to retool and have won at 4.5ptbb over 70k since October. I began as an mtt player and have had moderate success at mid-stakes mtts over the past two-three years.

This was written over a year ago and I would say some things differently if I wrote it today, but it's fairly close to a complete picture of my approach to/thoughts about poker:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...1&PHPSESSID =.

5. A little about yourself.

I'm 27, married, I've been playing full time for over a year, I really enjoy thinking about poker and I believe this would be an excellent opportunity for me to improve my game. I also think I would bring a lot to the table. I put a lot of effort into poker in general and would do so with this as well.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:09 AM

1. I had a coach and try to post every day, though typically my days are filled up with things to do. I have recently decided to dedicate more time to poker and less to school so I will be able to post more and focus more on getting better.
2. My Poker goal at the moment is to play 5/10 and 10/20, I recently started playing heads up, so my goal at the moment is to play 5/10 and 10/20 HU, though 6 max would be fine as well. I plan to take next year off and live abroad, playing on euro sites that are softer than FTP and PS.
3. I currently play 400 6 max or 200 HU. I am not currently playing 6 max b/c of my downswing, though it would not be hard for me to get back into the groove and play 6 max again. I enjoy to play both. I would estimate that I have won about $30,000 this year after my downswing. I started with $200 in February in my bodog account.
4. I liked my comments in this thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post13017335
I Though this was an interesting line:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=7#Post12761681
Lastly:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=8#Post12724129
5. I’m 19 and I go to Drexel. I am a Finance major and if I was going to stay in school this would definitely be my concentration. I don’t really want to work 9-5 and I love playing poker/the lifestyle. I am a coach to SSNL and uNL, I’ve done over 100 hours of coaching lifetime. I love the idea of playing pro every day, like aba said when he wakes up “alright! I get to play poker today!”.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 AM

I discuss hands regularly on an Irish poker forum. I'm a cardrunners member, just finished reading PNL recently and I'm almost finished Mathematics of Poker. I have a group of friends I discuss poker with over MSN. I recently started coaching with Slider, my broadband wasn't able to handle running all the programs without lagging a lot so I've ordered a much better broadband package and hope to continue getting coaching. I have skype/aimpro/msn and a headset.

2. Your poker goals.

I want to be bankrolled to play 1-2 live and learn how to play FR as well as 6max before next summer. Exchange rates aren't helping though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I want to regain the confidence I had before my downswing. I want to expand my game and take it beyond the robotic style I too often fall into.

I'm currently playing 50nl on an $1800 bankroll and plan to move back up to 100nl in December. I had a bankroll of $3500 during the Summer but working nights caused me to play tired and forced me back down to 50nl before I worked out what was causing my problem. I only play on weekends now and study the game as much as possible during the week. I don't cash out too often but I'd estimate I've taken out about $600-$700 since I started playing cash exclusively last February.

I don't have access to PT at the moment so I'm not sure how many hours I've played or how much I've made in the last 5 months. I wouldn't be a high volume player though.

As I mentioned I post regularly on another poker forum, here's some posts I've made in the last month:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055174058
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055173061
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055170098
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055173061

I'm 21 and in my 3rd year of a Financial Maths degree. I take a very mathematical approach to the game because of this. I'm the Auditor of my college's poker society and plan to run poker classes in December. I try to help out new players as much as possible since FutureDoc85 offered to help me out when I was getting started in cash games and was really, really helpful.

If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply

It wouldn't be too much trouble to set up a free forum. You could also have it as a private forum, that's just for people who you want to see it, if you were worried about privacy. Videos would have to be uploaded on seperate sites (like megaupload) though. There's probably people far more capable of setting this up, I'd be willing to set it up but I'm unlikely to have time to run/moderate it.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not so much, have had a lot of travelling the past month, but would like to do some more to be better.

2. Your poker goals.
Be able to beat 3/6 or 5/10 NL at a decent rate. Im basicly rolled/overrolled to do so, but my game is too weak tight for this level, Im pretty sure.

Like 500 hours of 80$/hour. Pokertracker is a bit slow, screenshot in a bit. Ill post a screenshot when I return from the gym, really really have to get going now. But can give this:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10012933

and this:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10494974

Stakes 1/2 to 5/10, I do heavy table selection when I play.

Past earning is indicated in 2)

Not really anythig recent

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.
21 year old danish University dropout (Mathematics).
And lastly Im Trix's brother and since talent runs in the family I should have great porential :-)

[/ QUOTE ]
And the stats I promised:

I may be able to host site/videos/forum, but not sure, and it would just be as a www.somethingsomething.dk/ourfourm, but ill look into it when my friend who owns the site returns :-)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 AM

I don't know that i'm the type of player you're looking for as i'm really just starting out in poker. I feel i've got a reasonable grasp of the basics but can't apply them to situations very well. I started looking around here about a year ago but i've only got seriously into poker the last couple of months.

1. How you are currently improving your game.
I'm basically reading anything i can on the net. I started by getting the basics through a few books but the discussions here seem far more usefull than any books. I'm still basically in the experimental phase at 10NL but i'm finding faults regularly and concentrating on fixing them.

2. Your poker goals.
My short-term goals are to learn. Basically i feel that as long as i keep learning then the playing side will take care of itself. First off i want to move up in stakes and continually beat the games i move up to (I'm trying to learn the game from the ground up by grinding each successive stake. Rinse and repeat etc. Eventually i'd like pokr to be a nice second source of income and maybe even go pro if i become good enough

Like i said i only really started taking it seriously a couple of months ago. I won a freeroll on Pacific a while ago and have moved from 2NL to 10NL fairly quickly. I'm up to about $200 playing here and there for 2 months (without PT)

I generally post if i disagree with what's being said and think i can offer something new. Here's a couple of examples (all uNL):
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=microplnl&Number= 13040894

They're just a couple of recent ones where i've suggested different things and i think i've added to the discussion.

Well I've just finished the first year of a science degree at Melbourne Uni. I'm 19 and am hoping that over the break (just finished exams) i can learn a lot about NLHE and move up to higher stakes. I'm intelligent (IQ +150 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])and willing to learn and i think this is a great way to improve.
Closed Thread