Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Poker Essays: Volumes 1 2 and 3. Worth it?

I need to choose 3 books from the B column of the 2+2 bonus program. Not sure yet of which books. I mostly play middle stakes limit holdem, but I'm going to learn other poker games in the next months.

What do you think about poker essays 1 2 and 3? Do you recommend me some of the others?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Poker Essays: Volumes 1 2 and 3. Worth it?

"I mostly play middle stakes limit holdem"

If you play middle stakes limit hold'em, then you should have already read these books.

Correct your error. These are gold for a limit hold'em player.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 PM

These three are very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very good. Must buys. They cover more than hold'em though.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:05 PM

Thay are good and cover a lot of gambling aspects. Definately worth reading.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need to choose 3 books from the B column of the 2+2 bonus program. Not sure yet of which books. I mostly play middle stakes limit holdem, but I'm going to learn other poker games in the next months.

What do you think about poker essays 1 2 and 3? Do you recommend me some of the others?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

You might find some things of interest as a limit player, but most of the topics are dated and of limited relevance to the modern player.

The books are collections of essays that were written before there was any online play, when the only no limit games were live with unlimited buy-ins (Mason said, correctly, that no limit was close to dead at the time), and when there were virtually no short-handed games. There were few tournaments, other than the WSOP, at the time, so there is not much on that topic either. Most of the discussion is about limit holdem and 7 stud IIRC.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:16 PM

Yeah, there's some Stud & Razz in there, too.

While you're at it, hunt down Improve Your Poker by Caiffone. Best poker book I ever read.

See, the Essays, IYP and other books like Cooke's The Play of Hands are all books that get you thinking. They present a situation, and then they cover the pros and cons of playing that situation a particular way.

The absolute best thing that can happen when you read a book like that is for you to disagree with the author.

See, the author will go into detail why his way is the "best" way. If you disagree, then you have to figure out in your own head why your way is "better." This makes you spend a lot of time thinking about poker on a very high level. You might even create a thread here in the strategy forums, present both options and get a lot of feedback both ways.

In the end, it really doesn't matter who was "right." You're thinking very critically about poker on a very high level, and THAT is what turns you into a good poker player.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

See, the Essays, IYP and other books like Cooke's The Play of Hands are all books that get you thinking. They present a situation, and then they cover the pros and cons of playing that situation a particular way.

Yes three exceptional reads. Long before the boom in current material. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 AM

there was a blistering critique of poker essays volume 3 over at rec.gambling.poker. i'm not sure about the first two volumes though.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there was a blistering critique of poker essays volume 3 over at rec.gambling.poker. i'm not sure about the first two volumes though.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW RGP has really turned into a total piece of SH*T over the last few years. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]