Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 02:49 PM

Default (razz) what\'s the best low you\'ve folded?

Over the past couple days I've had strong urges to fold a few 7 and 6 lows. I just couldn't do it, but I was right pretty much all of those times. I might post some hands later, but I'm just curious... it comes up quite a bit where you have a nice hand like a 74 or a straight 6 but can only beat a bluff.

But... you can't even count on your opponents to know they're bluffing some times.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: (razz) what\'s the best low you\'ve folded?

[ QUOTE ]
Over the past couple days I've had strong urges to fold a few 7 and 6 lows. I just couldn't do it, but I was right pretty much all of those times. I might post some hands later, but I'm just curious... it comes up quite a bit where you have a nice hand like a 74 or a straight 6 but can only beat a bluff.

But... you can't even count on your opponents to know they're bluffing some times.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never folded a 6 anyplace I can think of. I have folded 76 a few times and only been wrong once that I know of. It's a read-dependent deal for me, knowing this opponent is only raising the river with the wheel or a 6.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:01 PM

I think I might have folded a Nine once.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:25 PM

i seriously don't think ive ever folded an eight, if i get an eight i'm going to the showdown no matter what
Old 11-03-2007, 06:48 PM

That's always been an operative theory of mine, that no one folds an 8. I have, in multi-way pots. I've probably even folded a 76 before. Does that really make sense though? What's the relative strength of an 87 compared to, say, stud hi hands? I think of it like a weak 2 pair, and plenty of people can fold that.

I think one of the things that makes razz so different from high games, or even split games, is that there is a definite continuum of hands, and your opponent's board only gives a clue to his hand - it's not like stud hi where your opponent can show 4 cards that indicate a hand miles beyond yours (in stud you can show 2 pair, trips, a 4 flush or a 4 straight, etc, etc)

Further, unless someone's showing 3 cards you always know they're drawing but unlike in high games, you often won't know if the hand their drawing to will by definition beat any hand you can draw to or not.

I don't think I'd ever fold an 8 on 7th. I've definitely folded if on 5th and 6th before. But if I get to 7th with an 8 it's because I think it's probably good.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if I get to 7th with an 8 it's because I think it's probably good.

[/ QUOTE ]
IF is the operative word here. If your opponent hits that wheel on 5th and you have reason to believe him, are you getting to the river with an 8?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:58 PM

65 for me (hi everybody i'm a long time lurker here)..
There are a few regs on stars (it was against fisheye) that would never 3-bet the river without having you beaten.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:43 AM

I've folded 7 several times and I never regretted it.
I can think of hundred of situations where I'd fold an 8.
I think Rusty's comparison with a weak two pair in stud is interesting. I'm not even sure it's that strong.
Maybe that's because I'm playing razz mostly in low buy ins horse tournaments, but in those games, I'm sure you'd be better folding all your 87 to a river bet, than calling them all, because you will hardly ever see anyone betting the river with worse than an 87.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 AM

In the only live razz game I`ve ever played I folded a 7-5 against a board showing 365A and he flashed a 2 so it was the right thing (phew).
Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the only live razz game I`ve ever played I folded a 7-5 against a board showing 365A and he flashed a 2 so it was the right thing (phew).

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, they play live razz in the Netherlands? How often and at what stakes?