Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-02-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Mixing it up

villain here is fairly unknown i'm playing four tables and didn't have stats up but he was pretty normal for a 2/4 game, not a regular, a little on the fishy side, not like a professional but somewhat competant can read boards lol etc...

anyways here's the hand...

Full Tilt Poker, $2/$4 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $57.10
Hero (SB): $1,161.50
BB: $267
UTG: $610.40
MP: $414.20
CO: $462.90

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
4 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $14</font>, BB calls $10

Flop: ($28) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $22</font>, BB calls $22

Turn: ($72) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks

River: ($72) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $49</font>, BB calls $49

Results: $170 Pot ($3 Rake)
Hero showed K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Sixes) and WON $167 (+$82 NET)
BB mucked 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pair, Sixes and Threes) and LOST (-$85 NET)

so villain called a decent bet on the end with a pair of threes, obv the turn check threw him off. i had the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so I'm not too worried about free cards but yeah he could hit a five outer or whatever.

now if i were to post this hand in midstake prob most people would say jam the turn get it in if raised. that's not a bad idea, i don't disagree with that thinking but i think there are some benefits to mixing it up.

one, villain called a decent sized bet on the river where he would've folded the turn, most likely, if i just jammed.

and two, by checking some decent hands on the flop it seems to add some depth which keeps villains on their heels a little. they see oh he checked kk on the turn there, they're not really sure where i'm at which gives me some maneuverability in other hands which sometimes equates to me getting a better a read on my opponent than he can get on me.

this 'depth' is pretty interesting imo. a lot of people either read 2+2, watch cardrunners vids or talk poker whatever with friends/read books that advocate an aggressive style, which I don't disagree with at all, but i think the term aggressive can get misconstrued as it gets filtered down from the mouths of the best players through the forums to the common small stakes/mid stakes players who hear 'aggressive' and think it's all about jamming pots and out aggro-ing people. yeah out aggroing weak people can work but i think this dimension of depth i'm trying to refer to is a subtle difference that is like the base for a well rounded game. mmmmm if that makes sense? idk, i'm interested to hear what you think about the theory in general of mixing up your game and how that can be beneficial to your winrate/playing a tight game where you know where they're at more than they know where you're at.

kind of broad topic but interested in any comments.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Mixing it up

I really like to check one street with my one pair hands and bet the other two. There are 2 types of this pot controll:
1) checking F or T
2) checking R

I use 1) against made hands and 2) against drawing hands. Position helps as always.

What would you have done if villian had bet the turn?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 PM

...just called, against some other people i would have raised tho.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 PM

Seems pretty standard to me. This is a way ahead/way behind scenario. If you bet the turn, villain would fold all hands he was way behind and move in with hands he is way ahead.

I think he called the river bet in case you had two overcards. To him your hand is either an overpair or two overcards and frankly it's about 50/50 so it's not a bad call. You wouldn't have gotten that extra $49 if you bet the turn in this case and you would have lost any bet you made on the turn (and maybe more) if villain had a set or the flush.

As far as mixing it up, you now have to play a hand like this the same way the next time you get AK and don't hit. Now you may get a better hand to fold the river.

As far as aggression, I don't see any need for it on your part in a hand like this. You are not going to get him to fold a hand like AA, a set or a flush. On the other hand, he could have moved in on you on the turn or river and his aggression may very well have made you fold the best hand depending on your current table image and playing style.