Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Ask me anything about Marseille (and South of France)

Aix en Provence is a beautiful area, but when I went to Marseille I was less than impressed. It's basically a dirty port city with lots of poor immigrants and not much touristy stuff. Maybe it's cause I was there in the winter, I dunno. The only really interesting thing we saw was Chateau D'If, which was an island prison right off the coast where the Man in the Iron Mask was held. Also, the bouillebase (sp?) I had was pretty awful compared to previous tries.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aix en Provence is a beautiful area, but when I went to Marseille I was less than impressed. It's basically a dirty port city with lots of poor immigrants and not much touristy stuff. Maybe it's cause I was there in the winter, I dunno. The only really interesting thing we saw was Chateau D'If, which was an island prison right off the coast where the Man in the Iron Mask was held. Also, the bouillebase (sp?) I had was pretty awful compared to previous tries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really sorry to hear that..
Yes Marseille is a port (and a really big one) and is dirty.
However if you found that the Chateau d'If was the most interesting place in the city you've probably missed it all. Which is not so surprising as the city is not organized well to welcome and guide the tourists.. (what a shame)
For The Bouillabaisse, it's basically like in most big touristic cities. There are traps. I adbise everyone visiting Marseille NOT TO eat a Bouillabaisse until the restaurant has been recommended by a local they trust. And never to taste one on the old port. Never ever.

Will post some pictures later, and you'll tell me if you saw these places..
Old 07-09-2007, 11:54 AM

Do you know anything about Avignon? I'm going to be there for a day and a half next week with no itinerary at all, except that I'd like to drink some good Chateauneuf du Pape. What do you recommend in that city, or somewhere within an hour or so drive?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know anything about Avignon? I'm going to be there for a day and a half next week with no itinerary at all, except that I'd like to drink some good Chateauneuf du Pape. What do you recommend in that city, or somewhere within an hour or so drive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Avignon is a good place to saty for a day or two during normal times. You should absolutely visit "Le Palais des Papes" which was the Papal Home during 15th and 16th century and is really wondeful.. All its surroundings are also very beautiful.
If you like country side, the region of Luberon is worth a day trip. Plan on renting a car for a day. More on that if you interested.

However next week in Avignon is pretty special. You'll be there for the "Festival d'Avignon" the biggest festival of theater in France.

http://www.festival-avignon.com/index.php?lg=en

Here's a link in English about it.
City is usually overcrowded during these days (my Avignon friends say it's the only time of the year when it's alive..) so be careful if you don't have a hotel booked. Enjoy !