Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How old are you?
Under 21 8 3.40%
21-24 41 17.45%
25-27 28 11.91%
28-30 30 12.77%
31-35 15 6.38%
36+ 9 3.83%
Results please 104 44.26%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Vulnerable House Internet Poker Opponents

Eng

I like the idea of pushing the PPA to activate its members. 600,000 members are useless if their voice is nothing more then the squeak of a mouse. They have a forum that has no active membership, heck even the site admin has less then 86 posts.

Many folks have asked for action before, I'm not sure why the PPA hasn't gotten the ball rolling. I'm hoping they have an agenda in mind. I really hope the inaction is not because they don't know how to utilize their members. Its not like they are trailblazing here, many other grassroots organizations have already shown them the way.

So I ask this, how do we convince the PPA to activate its members and turn this mouse squeak into a lion's roar?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I ask this, how do we convince the PPA to activate its members and turn this mouse squeak into a lion's roar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your comments. I think we should all go to their forum and express our thoughts. I posted a thread there, at Request for more member outreach by PPA. Also, we should all email them at email@pokerplayersalliance.org and ask them to email their membership with specific actions for us to take. They've always replied to my inquiries. This hasn't translated to action, but they do read email and reply.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rep. Deborah Pryce (R, OH-15) voted "yea" for HR4411. She was reelected by only a few hundred votes in the last election and there was a recount. She has Ohio State University as part of her district.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, great target.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm late to this thread. I only check this forum once a week or so.

Anyways, I live in this district on campus (not an OSU student however). I do know a lot of students, several of which play poker. If this district is targeted, I would be happy to help.

A few notes about this district though. Columbus is a fairly moderate city, but the districts are gerrymandered horribly in favor of Republicans. Price got smoked in Columbus last election (like 70% for her opponent IIRC), but still won thanks to the very conservative rural counties included in this district. See picture below. The key will be getting the high turnout even higher on campus.

Price has also moved considerably toward the center since the last election, and she was fairly moderate before that. I think an e-mail campaign from OSU students may be effective to get an idea if she may change her mind on this issue. She certainly is feeling the heat still from her very narrow victory.

I will e-mail her this weekend and let everyone know if I get any kind of meaningful response.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:46 PM

Don't forget that you can donate money to an opponent who is on the record opposing this odious legislation even if you live outside a district (or at least threaten to in your letters 8)