Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Are There Any Atheists Who Believe in Rushes?

This is sort of where I was going in the other thread.

Most who believe in astrology probably also believe in God.

I'm more agnostic than atheist, but I've personally have had experiences with precognition.

Once I envisioned a 7-card stud poker hand while playing in a stud tourney in Resorts many years ago. It involved being dealt a three-flush with an ace door card and playing the hand like a pair of aces catching certain cards, but backing into a flush and winning the hand leaving my opponents shaking their heads. I went through this whole process in my head, every bet, every street, etc. A short time later this hand was dealt to me and played out exactly as I envisioned.

On another occasion I was backing out of my driveway. This was unusual, as I always backed into the driveway, so I could pull straight out. But this time was different. As I was backing out I looked to see if it was clear and I was, so I started backing out. Something made me stop and check again, and I justified it to myself thinking that someone may be going by in a wheelchair and was blocked by a hedge. I looked carefully and sure enough, someone was going by in a wheelchair! After he passed I started backing again but stopped again thinking that someone may be coming the other way in a wheelchair. I looked again and sure enough, someone else was coming the other way in a wheelchair! I always assumed that I must have seen one of these guys in the corner of my eye while getting in my car, but it only registered in my sub-conscience.

The weirdest one was one time I was driving on a highway and got off at an exit. I was driving up the ramp and onto the service road. I approached an intersection where the light was green. There was a building on the right that prevented me from seeing any traffic approaching from the right side. As I approached the intersection I inexplicably stepped on the brake somewhat hard and came to a complete stop before entering the intersection with the green light. Just as I stopped, a car came through the intersection from the right at a high rate of speed and blew through his red light. There would have been no way to avoid a collision if I had gone through the intersection like I normally did with a green light a thousand times before. I have no idea why I stopped at that green light.

You don't have to me smart to be an atheist, so I sure some of them believe in rushes.

Psychics are another matter. Seems similar to believing in God.

I don't know much about Scientology.

By the way, "devout" atheists are just as kooky as devout religious people. I saw some meeting or conference on TV once about atheists and they all seemed kind of weird.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm more agnostic than atheist, but I've personally have had experiences with precognition.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL confimation bias FTW .
Old 03-20-2007, 03:04 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Assuming by "believe in" you mean probable right now as opposed to possible at some point then of course not.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL confimation bias FTW .

[/ QUOTE ]

You're jumping to conclusions.

The first incident I cited can possibly be explained that I frequently imagine such things and sooner or later one will come true. And that I remember the ones that come true and ignore the times it doesn't. Unfortunately, I don't usually imagine such things. So I can't explain it away so easily.

The second incident can be explained away by assuming I saw one of the wheelchairs, maybe both, before I got in my car, but didn't realize it.

The third incident I can't explain. I'm not in the habit of stopping at green lights, especially when traveling at high speeds. I can't explain that.

Not withstanding any of the above, I don't believe in precognition. Nor guardian angels. But at the same time I can't explain the first and third incidents.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The third incident I can't explain. I'm not in the habit of stopping at green lights, especially when traveling at high speeds. I can't explain that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to explain why I took the cube in a rare tough spot in a backgammon game. "well, if that situation came up 36 times.."
friend, " that position will never arise again."
"ok, I guess you're right." sigh.

It doesn't matter if you never heard of a green light. We do the damndest things at the oddest times, 1000's of them a day. Some other unexpected event has to occur with some of them or we'd be living in a very strange universe with weird non-happenings.

luckyme
Old 03-23-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter if you never heard of a green light. We do the damndest things at the oddest times, 1000's of them a day. Some other unexpected event has to occur with some of them or we'd be living in a very strange universe with weird non-happenings.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right?

I'm fully aware of the concept you're citing, have been for many many years, was when the incident happened. It simply doesn't apply. No how matter how hard you want it to.

Please, . . .
Old 03-20-2007, 12:01 PM

Yes, I believe Rushes exist, in hindsight!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 PM

There is no such thing as an atheist or a believer. If we are honest -- we are all agnostic. One definition from www.dictionary.com says:

"asserting the uncertainty of all claims to knowledge"

I have not PHYSICALLY died and been PHYSICALLY born or reincarnated again -- I wish to believe in more, I hope to believe in more, but I do not know because I have no proof... Thus I am a Christian born true believing agnostic atheist...

God bless...
Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 PM

I think my fellow atheists would agree that what a superstitious man would call a 'rush' we would call a trend. There are explainations based in logic and reason to everything. As to whether or not we are able to understand those explainations yet, an altogether different question. Truth be told, i am a Buddhist. But i believe in the parts which suit me. I do not believe in reincarnation or an afterlife. And i definitely do not believe in any parapscychologies like astronomy, ect. Anyone who attributes phenomena to a supreme being (or a system to which people subscribe despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary for that matter) are quite frankly ignorant. I will finish with a quote, even though i do not believe in God, i think it is very relevant: "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei
Old 03-20-2007, 03:38 AM

Yes there are. I have more than one atheist friend who believes in ghosts, and psychics. Talking to them about this stuff is not a good time at all, to say the least.

I used to think Bayes theorum was the simplest thing in the world until I talked to these people. Now I realize that a lot of people cannot or will not understand it or apply it.