Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: 2 hands Stud hi 1/2

Yikes, if assuming that a player is good means that you'll end up putting them on a weaker hand, that's not good. I actually assume most players are pretty bad until I know otherwise. A bad player could have 2 pair, OR trips, OR some silly 3 flush that he thinks looks intimidating now that he paired his door.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thats why a read on the player always helps. I always assume they are good until I get a read on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume the opposite, especially given the stakes.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 PM

just cause I assume they are good doesn't mean seeing the cards and the way they play it, my read will be definite. I usually call down to see what they have here.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:03 PM

Thanks for all the answers. I feel that there is still a lot of basic stuff i dont understand yet.

If we assume (for the sake of discussion) that in hand 2, seat 4 has a small two pair and seat 2 has a 4-flush. Is it correct to raise to force seat 2 out?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the answers. I feel that there is still a lot of basic stuff i dont understand yet.

If we assume (for the sake of discussion) that in hand 2, seat 4 has a small two pair and seat 2 has a 4-flush. Is it correct to raise to force seat 2 out?

[/ QUOTE ]

GL with that. You won't get either one to fold in a 1/2 limit game.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i guess you're right, but in theory it is correct, right? Just to make sure i understand that.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i guess you're right, but in theory it is correct, right? Just to make sure i understand that.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, the correct play here would be to check & fold to a bet. You have 1 pair up against 2 pair & a pretty live flush draw (plus 1 over card). You have to dodge a lot of outs. I just can't see you getting there. Pick a better spot.

FWIW, if the flush draw was out of the picture & it was HU...my answer would be to see another card.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be hard for you to knock him out considering the seat position. If he checked the next street, you checked and the flush draw rases then he could raise to put pressure on you, but you aren't in a position to do this yourself.

The flush wont raise you as he doesn't want to lose customers.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:09 PM

Yes you want to make the flush draw pay, and maybe fold if you can. The object in stud is to eliminate players out of the hand. You want them out or pay for their draws. Even if he has a pair by putting that raise in you may get a check back to you which will allow you to see a free card which maybe will give you a better two pair. You have live outs even if he has a medium two pair. If the flush catches you can't do much about it anyway.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:18 AM

First hand: third is a fold. With only one Seven gone, it would be a limp. Definitely fold your weak draw to the paired door card on fourth. Raising fifth when you might not even have the best flush draw isn't a good idea. The rest looks fine, although I hate paying off the three-bet on the river. If you have any respect for the other guy at all, you can actually probably fold there.

On the second hand, the paired door card shouldn't have trips. Even bad players realize that a small pair with one out isn't worth playing on third. And if he is clueless enough to play that, he's clueless enough to play a lot of other crap. Paired door cards become a lot less scary when they are held by people who play 60% of their hands or more. I think you need to press on, and I lean towards raising in the hopes of getting it heads-up.