Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Poker and Job Interviews

I'd keep it under wraps in the interview---you never know the inclination of the interviewer in terms of gambling, etc. The hobby question doesn't come up as often as you think, and if it does "I'm working hard on my degree I don't have much time for hobbies" always looks good. That or "I drink a lot".
Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd keep it under wraps in the interview---you never know the inclination of the interviewer in terms of gambling, etc. The hobby question doesn't come up as often as you think, and if it does "I'm working hard on my degree I don't have much time for hobbies" always looks good. That or "I drink a lot".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ew, believe it or not there are not that many people that want to work with someone who says things like "I don't have time for hobbies," or even have such a dolt working for them. And if they do, you probably do not want to work for them.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ew, believe it or not there are not that many people that want to work with someone who says things like "I don't have time for hobbies," or even have such a dolt working for them. And if they do, you probably do not want to work for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I suppose if I was interviewing you for a spot at my company things would be different. Otherwise I don't think it can be seen as a good idea. However, I wouldn't go with the "I don't have time for hobbies" idea either. Like others have said the people that are reading the interviewer and reacting to them are most likely the candidates that get the job. Being engaged in the interview helps a ton.

I'd also leave beer pong off the resume!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 PM

silly tattoo luke
Old 11-07-2007, 09:54 PM

*silly as in sweet wicked
Old 11-07-2007, 10:16 PM

I'm a poker player, though if you interviewed with me for a job, I wouldn't look positively on it unless I knew exactly where you are with it. I do interview/hire in my position.

I know the time requirements for tournaments and know that cash games might be "juicy" at late hours. Do I want to take a chance on hiring someone that may or may not show up on time to work, or might have only slept for 2 or 3 hours and too tired to focus on what I'm paying them for? Not likely.

I'd think the same if I found out a candidate goes out partying most nights during the week also. You'd have to be an outstanding candidate compared to the others.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 PM

This thread has been done a million times...

... but it is better that you asked than go into your inteview and challenge the HR guy to HU4JOBZ.

For the vast majority of jobs and the vast majority of interviewers mentioning poker is a big mistake. There are some people with whom it might be an advantage to bring it up and if you get the read that your interview is one of those situations you should either:
a) play it down (i have a weekly game with friends but i always win because I am competitive, have a thurst for knowledge, am good at reading people, am good at math)

or

b) stay up until 5am winning the WCOOP ME the day before your 9am finance interview like strasser did last year.

In general though I would go with avoiding it and I think that NorthernGuy's points are good ones that I hadn't given much consideration to (because most of the people you get will not understand poker and will equate it to shaundeebesque blackjack degeneracy where you think that you are +ev because you have "a system")
Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 PM

I mentioned poker during my interview and it went fine. I was forthright and honest about it.

The guy asked about my excel experience, so I mentioned tracking data concerning my poker. I talked about it like I took it seriously and used actual data to think about my play and my results, and showed that I could think critically about it.

What would an interviewer not like about that?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for yalls input

[/ QUOTE ]

its probably not wise to say yall in the interview either [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for yalls input

[/ QUOTE ]

its probably not wise to say yall in the interview either [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yea good one. If the interviews in the south or alabama no big. haha