Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Looking for some Help Here.....

If your making the money 50% of the time, you're playing tight. You should be making the money between 15%-25% of the time. If you haven't read HOH 1 and 2, I strongly suggest you do and familiarize yourself with M theory, and how M should be dictating your play. I've found in most players with this problem, they are literally shutting down when it gets within 50-100 players from the money. I'm not advocating going straight maniac as the bubble approaches, but the bubble should certainly not be a spot where you're hanging on to cash.

You should always be trying new/different styles of play throughout different stages of the tournament until you find something that fits, and is successful. Try watching some PXF videos for reference.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one thing I've added to my game is the willingness to raise/call AI PF with a coinflip late in a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...forgot to mention that you also have to make sure that you win your coinflips (just lost JJ to AQo allin PF for a 28th place out of 1366 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )
Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 PM

Resteals are awesome

Teach me restealing

Obviously I don't know how you play but cashing in a lot of tournaments and not making the big money a lot seems like a classic case of being tight on the bubble in an attempt to 'make the money.' Your goal in MTTs should not be to make the money, rather it should be to make the most money.

You should be as aggressive as humanly possible on the bubble of tournaments. You should be playing for first at all times and the increased shot at first from the chips you make on the bubble far outweigh the times that you bust out of the money.

-Steve
Old 07-28-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The one thing I've added to my game is the willingness to raise/call AI PF with a coinflip late in a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...forgot to mention that you also have to make sure that you win your coinflips (just lost JJ to AQo allin PF for a 28th place out of 1366 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

If this wasn't you being short stacked, blind vs blind, isolation or entirely read based, this is somewhat of a leak.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this wasn't you being short stacked, blind vs blind, isolation or entirely read based, this is somewhat of a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're seeing that the leak was losing a flip right? Once you get to the endgame it is almost always wrong to not get your chips in with AQ and there are very few rare and unique cases where it could ever be correct to not get it in with JJ
Old 07-28-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're seeing that the leak was losing a flip right? Once you get to the endgame it is almost always wrong to not get your chips in with AQ and there are very few rare and unique cases where it could ever be correct to not get it in with JJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the things above. Endgame I end up deeper stacked than I started sometimes in these things, but I'd gladly jam AQ or JJ to isolate.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:13 AM

rockstar, I'm not a big pro, but I've had a little more success in mtts than you claim to have. honestly i'd say a big part of it is knowing when to make a play with less than a premium hand, believe it or not these are the hands where you usually get paid off big with little risk.

i can't remember the last time i was eliminated with a 57 off or a 9 3 suited... but i remember an mtt recently where i doubled up and vaulted late into the final table thanks to these crap hands. both were in the blinds but i had either raised or called a raise.

there comes a point when the antes come in and the blinds get so big, where the small edge one has with higher cards is nullified by pot odds, and your best chance is to play your cards face up.