Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 02:34 AM

Default Facing big bet on the river

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t11775)
UTG (t2083)
UTG+1 (t13455)
MP1 (t2962)
MP2 (t314)
MP3 (t14403)
CO (t8508)
Button (t9100)
SB (t23566)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t400, MP2 calls t289 (All-In), <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t400, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t2289) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1200</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Button calls t1200, SB folds.

Turn: (t4689) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t4689) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t7475 (All-In)</font>, Hero ???

If I call and lose I have 2675 left. This was a $2 tourney with 200 players left out of 1270 and I had just gotten moved to the table a few hands ago.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Facing big bet on the river

really tough but you gotta fold i think.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 AM

1. i don't like the flop-bet very much. this is a highly dangerous board, with 5! players to act behind you.

as played here i think you have to call - this looks like a busted draw as he completely overbets the pot with the second T, or he has a T himself. with a made hand i think he would bet the turn.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:25 AM

I call the river. Due to your passivity on the turn and river, he could be making this move with a huge array of hands.

I also hate the flop bet. I check/fold the flop. You have middle pair with a decent kicker and no flush possibilities out of position in a multiway pot. This hand is a recipe for disaster if you go past the flop.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Results:

I made the flop bet because two of my four live opponents were very low and unlikely to call me or have me beat, another had only 8700 left so he couldn't fool around with a loose call, so that left only the SB who had already checked. There's over 2700 in the pot and I'm only betting 1200, 10% of my stack. Somebody probably has a club but it could be a low club with nothing else like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so they'll fold, or if one of the short stacks goes all in I can easily call and might even have the best hand. Any A, Q, 9, or club on the turn means someone will have likely drawn out on me, but a lot of those hands won't be able to call a flop bet, especially in a semi-dry pot. Basically my bet was predicated on my hand being likely best but vulnerable, and the other players having fewer chips than me and in bad positions to call. Even if this bet was technically a mistake it couldn't have been a very large one, based on the value of my hand, the pot odds, and the fact that I had the other players covered.

I called on the river and the SB had KT so I dropped down to 2675 and busted soon after.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Results:

Never bet that flop against 5 opponents!!

Why are u sure ur opponents hadnt hit that extreme dangerous flop? Are u clairvoyant?

U bet with the intention of calling a short stack all-in? Do you really think you are ahead enough to profitably call?

Last one: if you bet the river, u can confortably fold when u face and all-in move, but if you check, what information do you have?

So many errors in one single hand,

Wow...
Old 07-25-2007, 08:15 AM

check fold flop
bet fold river i think
Old 07-25-2007, 08:18 AM

Dudes, any reasonable bet on the river means OP will be getting ~4:1 to call opp's push...
Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 AM

There are almost no players capable of raise allin against a big river bet with a worst hand than JT, almost nobody would do that, so even 8:1 are not enough pot odds to call there.

By the way, if he bets 3.000 on the river and villain moves all-in, he has 3:1
Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I made the flop bet because two of my four live opponents were very low and unlikely to call me or have me beat...

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the fact that they're short stacked connected to whether or not they have you beat / have a King / have a flush?

Just check flop.

[ QUOTE ]
MP2 calls t289 (All-In)

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, with a player all in he's less likely to bluff the river as the table will see his hand.