Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Is Pelz Right? What does It Mean If He Is?

Stan Utley is more natural in his methods and teaching.

But as for PELZ and his qualifications,

He was a NASA Scientist for 30 years I think.

Yes, a Rocket Scientist.

I have met him and he is GIGANTIC, like 6-6 and well over 300. He plays to about a 1hcp

About not listening to his short game stuff, he invented the 2-ball (well the 3-ball putter) and that idea got stolen. And his putting stuff helped me get down to a 6hcp. Stan Utley's putting stuff didnt help as much. It is good if you are a ben crenshaw type putter but not a straightback-through type.

I would be glad to play a money game against any NY player to prove my hcp, beyond what my USGA card says.

jc

jc
Old 04-23-2007, 05:10 PM

I also prefer Utleys approach to putting, and if I were able to take a short game lesson from either one it would be Utley. However, I think pelz has a lot to offer. What I am talking about from him has nothing to do with specific techniques.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't listen to Pelz on the short game.

If you truly want to improve your short game you should listen to Stan Utley. His methods are much more natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate it when people say that a teacher or technique is bad or wrong just because it doesn't work for them.

Some people prefer to play and think more "naturally", some people play better when they think more biomechanically. There's more than one way to hit a golf ball well.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM

HDPM: If you wanted to track PEIs using shotlink, you can do it by getting a subscription to Tourcast.

I thought about doing that when it first came out (2 years ago I think) but then I realized I would probably have to spend like 4-5 hours each day of every tournament to record all the shots. I'm not THAT obsessed.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also wonder if pelz's numbers are about the same now as then

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is an important factor you might be dismissing too much. I understand what you're saying about the club not mattering if the margin of error is relative to the distance rather than the club. However, I don't think we have any proof that that's the case. If I had to guess I'd say Jack's 1 iron vs. Tiger's 4 iron would have different error margins, regardless of whether or not they flew the same distance.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had to guess I'd say Jack's 1 iron vs. Tiger's 4 iron would have different error margins, regardless of whether or not they flew the same distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the same skill level, today's 4 iron should have a tighter pattern.
The ball is tons better, falls to the ground straighter.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM

Thanks, I haven't checked it out until you mentioned it. I tried a little of the free sample. Pretty cool, but probably a little too much, I am not that obsessed either. I think.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 PM

Falls to the ground straighter?

With which clubs? Drivers?s hort itons?

Guys do a litle reading on the subject.

Please do not believe these general statements. They are gonna get your head spinning when you belive someone that says the ball is gonna fall to the ground straigter.

I mean no insult to the poster, but if you actually play golf understand spin and what types of shot your making ie. knockdown, hitting a high 9 iron or a punch shot that is low and double hop-stops.

These are part of what determines the flight of the ball. The angle of descent of the shaft coupled with clubhead closing. W/ the speed of clubhead, the angle of impact with the clubface. More lag - meaning your hands are IN FRONT of the ball at impact means you effectively de-loft the face and if hit solid the ball will spin more, on a slightly flatter plane (BALL WOULD BE FALLING more on a flat plane, not more vertically) and generally be more accurate.

WHen tiger hits his four that far, it basically is delofted to a 1 iron anyway and he spanks it boy. If you ever get a chance to go to a pro golf tourney, even champions, they are SO INSANELY GOOD it is mind boggling. The short games are sick. I wish I could play like that it looks like more fun, especially the champions guys.

GUys please read up on this subject

www.bombsquadgolf.com

www.4gea.com

I also suggest buying from their forums they are very well stocked frequently and these guys let good clubs go for cheap.

jc
Old 04-23-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Guys do a litle reading on the subject.

Please do not believe these general statements. They are gonna get your head spinning when you belive someone that says the ball is gonna fall to the ground straigter.

I mean no insult to the poster, but if you actually play golf understand spin and what types of shot your making ie. knockdown, hitting a high 9 iron or a punch shot that is low and double hop-stops.

These are part of what determines the flight of the ball. The angle of descent of the shaft coupled with clubhead closing. W/ the speed of clubhead, the angle of impact with the clubface. More lag - meaning your hands are IN FRONT of the ball at impact means you effectively de-loft the face and if hit solid the ball will spin more, on a slightly flatter plane (BALL WOULD BE FALLING more on a flat plane, not more vertically) and generally be more accurate.

WHen tiger hits his four that far, it basically is delofted to a 1 iron anyway and he spanks it boy. If you ever get a chance to go to a pro golf tourney, even champions, they are SO INSANELY GOOD it is mind boggling. The short games are sick. I wish I could play like that it looks like more fun, especially the champions guys.

GUys please read up on this subject

www.bombsquadgolf.com

www.4gea.com

I also suggest buying from their forums they are very well stocked frequently and these guys let good clubs go for cheap.

jc

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 04-23-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. With all clubs. The ball is so much better today than even 10 yrs. ago that it's scary.
They fly straighter, curve less, and go farther.
They are extremely consistent from ball to ball.

I've done a little reading on it (Titleist, for instance, calls it "Drop and Stop" technology), but more importantly, I've done more playing. Comparing the golf ball today with the ball of Nicklaus's day is like comparing the Driver of today with the persimmon Drivers.