Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 03:55 AM

Default Game Theory at on-line micros?

Is Game Theory strategey at on-line micros a waste of time?

I think so...how bout you?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Game Theory at on-line micros?

Yes.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:36 AM

If not on game theory, what do you rely on to make +EV decisions? You should use game theory, taking into account the other players' habits.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 PM

Why would it be a waste of time?

I think using game theory with variables designed for beating a tough 300/600 game would be a waste of time if you're playing the Stars .25/.50 game, but if you use variables for the players in the game you're playing, of course it's useful.

Also, this post is pretty retarded.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would it be a waste of time?

I think using game theory with variables designed for beating a tough 300/600 game would be a waste of time if you're playing the Stars .25/.50 game, but if you use variables for the players in the game you're playing, of course it's useful.

Also, this post is pretty retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think OP is talking about bluffing frequency designed to make it impossible for your opponents to call the river with a bluff catcher profitably etc. In micro limits this type of game theory doesn't fit, in these situations against unobservant opponents one option is always correct so we don't need to vary our game.

If by game theory you mean we should not valuebet on the river unless we're a 55% favorite when we get called, it should always be used and in micro limits this will mean we should valuebet more often than in higher limits.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think OP is talking about bluffing frequency designed to make it impossible for your opponents to call the river with a bluff catcher profitably etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
If we know that our opponents call our river bets 100% of the time, then game theory clearly tells us never to bluff. However, it tells us to value bet quite a lot of hands.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Game Theory strategey at on-line micros a waste of time?

I think so...how bout you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought game theory was about designing the best strategy to counter ur opponent. So I think it's very important.

I guess u mean 'non exploitable strategies'? I think applying these in the micro tables is not just a waste of time, it's bad for ur winrate.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think OP is talking about bluffing frequency designed to make it impossible for your opponents to call the river with a bluff catcher profitably etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
If we know that our opponents call our river bets 100% of the time, then game theory clearly tells us never to bluff. However, it tells us to value bet quite a lot of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not 100% what the definition of game theory is, but I think it a way of playing your hand against an unknown so he can't profitably call with a marginal hand on the river (ie we don't know his calling frequency). So if we never bet the river we're not playing according to game theory since villain will always make a +EV decision by check/folding the river (yes folding is 0 EV, but the river action will have a positive EV).
Old 11-19-2006, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not 100% what the definition of game theory is

[/ QUOTE ]
Gah, then why post?

Game theory assumes that both players are attempting to maximize their return. A micros player is not attempting to maximize their return (because they are playing so terribly), and thus game theory does not apply. By using game theory to maximize your return against an opponent who is playing perfectly, you are reducing your expected return against an opponent playing less than optimally. The best strategy at micros is and always has been solid ABC poker.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not 100% what the definition of game theory is

[/ QUOTE ]
Gah, then why post?

Game theory assumes that both players are attempting to maximize their return. A micros player is not attempting to maximize their return (because they are playing so terribly), and thus game theory does not apply. By using game theory to maximize your return against an opponent who is playing perfectly, you are reducing your expected return against an opponent playing less than optimally. The best strategy at micros is and always has been solid ABC poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't be a [censored] moron. I'm not only posting on this forum to teach but also to learn (btw my explanation of game theory in the given example is 100% correct). Your explanation isn't very good though, since game theory isn't only used against players who plays perfectly, but against unknowns we don't know what flaws they have in their game.

And what other players "attempt" to do isn't of any significance since a player attempting to "maximize their return" doesn't necessairly play close to perfect at all. In fact there are tons of players in the micros trying to play perfect but actually sucks.