Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Engineering or Business

I am having a lot of trouble trying to figure out what I should major in. At the moment I am in the electrical engineering program and am stuck with it until spring semester. However, I am not so sure I want to continue down that path. Luckily my entire first semester transfers for any of the other degrees i am interested in pursuing.

Basically I am trying to decide between electrical engineering, petroleum engineering, computer engineering/computer science, or a dual major in Accounting and Finance. My school has a program that fast tracks you into getting a BBA in Acc. and a Masters in Finance, which looked like something I would be interested in. Also, my roommate is a Acc. major, which would give me someone who I can easily study with. However, with all of the engineering programs I already have summer internships.

I originally decided on engineering because I've always been strong in math and sciences and my dad is an electrical engineer. I just don't know if I am that interested in the field. I say that but honestly I am not all that aware of what I would be doing out of college in any of these fields. Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Engineering or Business

I can tell you for sure that both engineering and accounting are terrible fields to work in.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you for sure that both engineering and accounting are terrible fields to work in.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you recommend?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:16 AM

something that sounds fun
Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 AM

If you're really smart, computer engineering. If you're not really smart, accounting and finance.

Sincerely,
A guy that majored in finance and wishes he had gone into computer engineering
Old 07-15-2007, 04:16 AM

Whats the difference between computer science and computer engineering?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 AM

I think an engineering degree allows you to leave your options very open. If you want to do business later, you can always get an MBA with an engineering background. I know plenty of people who get jobs at ibanks with just engineering degrees...in fact a lot of trading positions look specifically for engineers because they know they're generally smart and good with numbers. On the other hand, it would be very hard to study finance/accounting and then later do something more mathy like engineering. Since it seems like you're not quite sure what you want to do, I would go for engineering. The program will be significantly harder though, but very rewarding if you get through.

computer science has more to do with software and computer engineering has more to do with hardware.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 AM

Engineering

If you achieve a high grade then you can get anywhere with an engineering degree

Case in point: one of my mates achieved first in mechanical engineering and got a graduate position at the royal bank of scotland in the city of london starting at £34k ($68k) per annum. He says that out of the 25 people who entered at the same time with him only 6 had business related degrees and the rest were either engineering, maths or physics graduates
Old 07-15-2007, 12:53 PM

Well I'm going to Illinois and im in their business school. I also am basically a sophomore standing from AP's so that leaves me a lot of options for a double major. Im definitely going for finance degree.

Imo, im pretty smart and was very successful in the higher level physics and math classes. So i was looking for statistcs as a 2nd major, and I would do engineer, but A) that would have to a lot of extra work and b) I doubt i could get into the program. Right now i was looking at stats, econ, and computer science as possible double majors. Are any of them actually valuable?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:14 PM

From what I understand Engineering is a more difficult major than business or finance. The advantage of going into Engineering is that even if you decide you don t like by the time you graduate, you can easily go into other fields because many employers in other fields love hiring engineers(I m a mech engineering major and have an internship doing Equity options trading). Also only go into comp engineering if you love writing code, otherwise it blows. Hope that helps