Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Interviewing with Microsoft

[ QUOTE ]
I would offer advice, but I went on about 30 interviews before I landed my first (and current) real world job, so I probably suck at interviewing.

Any results?

[/ QUOTE ]

No job. They never asked any of the questions that I really prepared for, it was a weird new interview thing they are doing. They told me that I seemed too nervous and it made me look like I didn't know what I was doing, but encouraged me to apply again in the future. The feedback was nice, better than the normal letter in the mail/email a week or so later.

I decided to go back to school and get my masters, will give me time to work on some things and gain experience working on more projects, and hopefully learn not to suck so much at interviewing.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would offer advice, but I went on about 30 interviews before I landed my first (and current) real world job, so I probably suck at interviewing.

Any results?

[/ QUOTE ]

No job. They never asked any of the questions that I really prepared for, it was a weird new interview thing they are doing. They told me that I seemed too nervous and it made me look like I didn't know what I was doing, but encouraged me to apply again in the future. The feedback was nice, better than the normal letter in the mail/email a week or so later.

I decided to go back to school and get my masters, will give me time to work on some things and gain experience working on more projects, and hopefully learn not to suck so much at interviewing.

[/ QUOTE ]

no worries man, it's good that ur goin for ur masters, it'll boost ur credentials...in the meantime, u can do a lot of mock interviews to strengthen ur skills for interviews...just a little bump in the road...
Old 11-13-2006, 04:49 PM

This article was written by a former MS employee who had a lot of experience hiring young programmers. It's very helpful.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...000000073.html
Old 11-13-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Why is a manhole cover round?"

[/ QUOTE ] Manhole covers are round because man holes are round, despite what is often heard as the correct answer. When I interviewed with MS the wierdest question I got was "How would you design a car for a dog?"

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing I thought of was so the will roll and be easier for workers to move(they are very heavy), then because there is no wrong way to put one on, and finally because the holes/culverts(sp) are round

My response to the dog/car question? Why would I design a dog a car? I wouldn't. It would be a Flintstone's model convertable.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Why is a manhole cover round?"

[/ QUOTE ] Manhole covers are round because man holes are round, despite what is often heard as the correct answer. When I interviewed with MS the wierdest question I got was "How would you design a car for a dog?"

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing I thought of was so the will roll and be easier for workers to move(they are very heavy), then because there is no wrong way to put one on, and finally because the holes/culverts(sp) are round

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I think that it's this, and the fact that a circle is the only shape that makes it impossible to accidentally drop the cover through the hole.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 AM

Some triangular shapes would also allow this...an equilateral triangle for example. But yeah, triangular manhole covers wouldn't be very practical..
Old 11-14-2006, 04:30 AM

An equilateral triangle could be dropped through its hole.

I think a rouleaux (sic) triangle might work though.