Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 PM

Default 100-200 Bay 101 Questionable Hand

A Bay 101 40-80 regular (remains anonymous for this post) was telling me about a hand he played in the 'big' 1-2 (hundred) game at Bay.

I thought this hand was extremely interesting... anyway, on with the show in his words (more or less told to me):

"Ring game. UTG, who was a pretty solid tight player, made it 2 bets to go. Folded around to me, and I opt'd to call with 7-7 instead of making it 3 bets. I usually make it 3 on the button with almost any hand, J-10 suited, any middle pp or higher, but I wanted to see how this hand might play out and hopefully induce a call from one of the blinds to give me better odds in case I'm up against a big pair. I'd also play any Ace-10 suited the same way sometimes, so hopefully if an ace flopped I'd take the pot away at the turn.

The sb, relatively unknown player who has been getting some huge hands, makes it 3 bets to go. UTG quickly calls, and I decide to call, and hoping to flop a set or bail with no intention of taking the pot away on any street.

Flop comes A-K-7 w/ a diamond draw. SB bets out, UTG makes it 2, I re-raise, sb caps. UTG calls fairly quickly. Knowing he is a tight player, and the way he called, made me feel somewhat better about my hand. However, still left clueless on the sb's hand, although I will have some idea on the turn where I stand.

Turn: non diamond 5. sb bets out, UTG quickily calls, I 2-bet from the button, sb pauses and looks at me, then 3 bets, UTG thinks for a long time and mucks. I muck."

I've of course edited out the hands he put them on and what he eventually found out if it was a good fold or not.

Was hoping to hear some suggestions on what actions some fellow players would take, and more specifically, what range of hands you put sb/utg on...
Ty.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: 100-200 Bay 101 Questionable Hand

mehh the pot is gigantic call down in case he has AK

utg prob had AQ
Old 04-05-2007, 10:25 PM

was the turn a diamond? also might be important which two flop cards were diamonds.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 PM

How many players were dealt in the hand?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:41 PM

yuck terrible fold
Old 04-06-2007, 12:24 AM

Your anonymous friend is a fish and if he likes money he should never sit in that game again. I'm trying to be helpful here. His thought process is completely out of whack and he will get chewed up in this game which I have been told is pretty damn tough for a live game.

He needs to fold preflop the first time around and the fact that he would 3 bet JTs, coldcall ATs, and intend to "take it away on the turn" if an ace flops is laughable.

After that his turn fold is ridiculous as others have said.

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-06-2007, 12:37 AM

Understand that this play is about ten times worse than raising 72o UTG in a loose aggressive full ring game. Your friend has committed the single worst play in texas hold'em---folding a hand that has a very high mathematical probability of being the best hand in a relatively large pot. The hand is not interesting. It's almost unreadable. I hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:22 AM

Replying blind: what an awful fold. Your friend had a very good chance of having the best hand in a big pot. Even I know to call this down, and I suck at poker.

It doesn't matter what he "put them on" or whether or not he was beaten. His whole line of thinking throughout the hand is fundamentally flawed. His preflop play is bad - either 3-bet this mess or fold it, tending towards the latter.

The only street that he did not bollocks up to the extreme is the flop.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Incorrect preflop, and incorrect fold.

preflop: fold, your getting a bad price with a mid pair. if you play the button as you describe at limit hold em then you will be a big loser over time.

flop: fine.

after that you cannot fold a set in limit with the pot this sized. if you think he has a set, you call him down. you get shown AK here often enough, or even a big suited diamond draw with a pair (was the A on the board the ace of diamonds?), that you have a positive ev calling down here with a set.

at limit your supposed to lose a lot with set over set, at nl you need to be able to get away from bottom set.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 AM

Thank you for all the input, esp Death Donkey. I'm not a high stakes player (would just barely qualify for middle-stakes), so I didn't understand the thought process on this one; esp figuring if it's a cooler, c/c with 3rd nuts and see it.

The UTG hand turned out to be A-K, and the sb held A-A. Again, I didn't understand the logic of the fold (great read along with intimate knowledge of UTG player?) but I do know high stakes games are a lot more aggressive in terms of 3-betting and capping compared to the smaller stakes I play (12-24,20-40), so I put this as an auto c/c on river in my book no matter what.

Please advise how you guys would've played this hand throughout. I'd really much like to reach a level that many of these players are currently at, esp people like DD.