Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Squeezing that one extra bet off at river

Any medium stakes game. Game is loose aggressive.

utg+1 limps, mp1 limps, hero limps mp3 77, button calls, sb completes, bb checks.

FLOP:

10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

sb checks, bb bets, utg+1 folds, mp1 calls, hero RAISES, button calls 2 cold, sb folds, bb calls, mp1 calls.

TURN:

4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

bb checks, mp1 checks, hero BETS, button calls, bb calls, mp1 calls.

RIVER:

A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

bb checks, mp1 checks, HERO...

With 2 people checking in front possibly representing missed fd, and button behind possibly holding ace, does anyone check to try to represent a counter-fitted hand? What is the range of hands that button will call with after me leading whole way? Too risky to try to cr?

I been at these types of situations a lot lately, and frequently find that if I check with my made gutshot straight or fullhouse oop (when board pairs), I can usually have top pair top kicker/overpair bet into me at river to try to represent a counter-fitted hand often. I rarely see this line taken at rivers and thought it could be a highly profitable one if applied properly in certain spots.

My thinking is that in decent size pots if anyone feels they can win they will usually take a stab at the pot especially if they feel a card improved their hand drastically.

Thoughts please.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Squeezing that one extra bet off at river

some thoughts:

-there's no particular reason to think that button has an A here - his cold-call on the flop seems more like a FD, and if he had the draw+TP, I'd expect him to play more aggressively on either the flop or the turn.
-You aren't really out of position here - you've got 2 players in front of you who checked the river and only one more next to act. If you were first to act in a 4-way pot, then you are going to have a better chance of getting in a c/r.
-If BB or MP1 has a good A and is going for a c/r here, then it's a disaster to let this check through when you could have gotten 3 bets in.
-If button likes his hand now (and BB and MP1 have missed draws), he might raise the river and let you 3-bet, which is better than check-raising him and likely only getting in 2 bets.

A big downside, imo, or check-raising the river after having the lead the whole hand is that your hand is going to look really huge and reduces your chance of getting someone to overplay their hand against you and go many river bets.

All of this adds up to an easy bet in this hand, imo.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:37 PM

For the love of all that is holy just bet your hand.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the love of all that is holy just bet your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 09-07-2007, 06:48 PM

lol full house bet
Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 PM

I'm just wondering on how many people if ever take the line of check raising river if top card/medium card pairs with a strong hand oop against a guy you want to bet.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:13 PM

a nugget of wisdom for you

Bad hand: check
Good hand: bet
Old 09-07-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a nugget of wisdom for you

Bad hand: check
Good hand: bet

[/ QUOTE ]

ty kit. ill keep that in mind when i bluff.

and villain on button cannot possibly hold a hand like a-j, or bb who led into me cannot hold a-9, and i cannot possibly cr this river and have 1 or maybe even 2 people may crying calls, because we all know everyone reads 2+2 and can make std lay downs in big pots.

thank god for everyone being good at poker. thank god for everyone thinking alike.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

all joking aside, ty ns. figured most optimal line was betting, but thinking deep i didn't see any many hands that make a call at the river exception of trip aces. i'd def c/r river all day from an earlier spot, but with 2 people in front checking i really laid the button as holding an ace.

just trying to see if anyone has ever played a hand similar to this that way or differently.