Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Winner
Michigan 44 38.26%
Ohio State 71 61.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Executing Child Rapists

[ QUOTE ]
I'm against the death penalty, but if someone rapes a child of mine I'll kill him if I can.

I'm opposed to vigilantism also, so no it doesn't make any sense. But at some point principles break apart for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, you would let your desire overwhelm you, and you would act on that desire regardless of how destructive/immoral it is.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:01 PM

Considering what happens to child molesters in prison, I think the death penalty is a slap on the wrist.

(and governments should not be executing their own citizens, ldo)
Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering what happens to child molesters in prison, I think the death penalty is a slap on the wrist.

(and governments should not be executing their own citizens, ldo)

[/ QUOTE ]

You watch a few too many movies. Want to know what happens to child molesters in prison? They sit in protective custody, eat alone, live lives of solitude.

However, they are not raped, attacked, made someone's "bitch" or anything of the sort.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Before a poll like this can even mean anything, you must specify whether or not the altenative is life in prison with absolutely no chance of parole.

[/ QUOTE ]

A third alternative for multiple offenders (to eliminate an innocent person being so punished), should be mandatory physical castration. These pervs cannot be cured and should not be able to claim "rights to procreate" as a reason not to suffer such punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very humane of you, wanting these people back in the community. Have to be careful as I read (many years ago, maybe someone has more uptodate info) that castrated rapists were just as likely to reoffend with violent assults and no less dangerous to their victims.

Or did you mean to castrate them before execution or life imprisonment.

I'm against execution, reluctantly concede the need for life imprisonment in many cases.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

why is your concession reluctant? it seems like a lot of times these offenders are being sent back into society and the system just crosses its fingers and hopes that they have been rehabilitated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not keen on locking someone up and throwing away the key especially when some have been punished and pose no further risk. But we can't tell who poses no further risk and the downside of release is too great. I'd like to think there's a better option but can't think of any.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough. for more common crimes i would tend to agree, but regarding these particular offenders i'm not too torn up about locking them up and throwing away the key because crimes like this are on a different level of "bad." as a result the offenders will always pose a serious risk in my mind because i would wonder whether rehabilitation is conceivable for someone who commits such a crime. i may be off base in assuming that they have mental issues, but i feel that either way they pose too great a threat to be allowed to return. in the case that they are deemed to be insane (or whatever term applies) i think they can't be released for obvious reasons. in a scenario in which they are deemed to be of sound mind, i'm still wary; i believe in second chances, but i do not want to wait until they commit a second offense of this nature to realize that they cannot be trusted.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Before a poll like this can even mean anything, you must specify whether or not the altenative is life in prison with absolutely no chance of parole.

[/ QUOTE ]

A third alternative for multiple offenders (to eliminate an innocent person being so punished), should be mandatory physical castration. These pervs cannot be cured and should not be able to claim "rights to procreate" as a reason not to suffer such punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very humane of you, wanting these people back in the community. Have to be careful as I read (many years ago, maybe someone has more uptodate info) that castrated rapists were just as likely to reoffend with violent assults and no less dangerous to their victims.

Or did you mean to castrate them before execution or life imprisonment.

I'm against execution, reluctantly concede the need for life imprisonment in many cases.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

why is your concession reluctant? it seems like a lot of times these offenders are being sent back into society and the system just crosses its fingers and hopes that they have been rehabilitated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not keen on locking someone up and throwing away the key especially when some have been punished and pose no further risk. But we can't tell who poses no further risk and the downside of release is too great. I'd like to think there's a better option but can't think of any.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough. for more common crimes i would tend to agree, but regarding these particular offenders i'm not too torn up about locking them up and throwing away the key because crimes like this are on a different level of "bad." as a result the offenders will always pose a serious risk in my mind because i would wonder whether rehabilitation is conceivable for someone who commits such a crime. i may be off base in assuming that they have mental issues, but i feel that either way they pose too great a threat to be allowed to return. in the case that they are deemed to be insane (or whatever term applies) i think they can't be released for obvious reasons. in a scenario in which they are deemed to be of sound mind, i'm still wary; i believe in second chances, but i do not want to wait until they commit a second offense of this nature to realize that they cannot be trusted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not torn up by it, just reluctant because it seems unjust. In the absense of a just solution I'm happy to skew any injustice in the system towards these people.

I can't imagine there's any deterence value so its just prevention.

chez
Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone who does that is obviously very ill. People who are ill require treatment. They are ill after all. I suppose you don't send people with cancer to jail or execute people with a failing kidney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not disagreeing with you, or agreeing for that matter, but I am questioning some of the 'facts' you are stating as I find the subject interesting.

Is it really a cureable illness as you suggest?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

[ QUOTE ]
I am lucky that my sexuality is considered 'normal' by most people I come into contact with, but not everybody is that lucky, and I am sure we can agree that more than once in history someone has tried to 'cure' someone of homosexuality.

So why do we believe that the desires of this person can be altered any more than my desires to be physical with the opposite sex, or someone elses desires to be physical with the same sex or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Desiring to rape children is not something that comes natural. DUCY?

[ QUOTE ]
Please note I am trying to be clear that I consider Hetro/homosexuality as the same on all levels apart from preferance, and am certainly not relating homosexuality to peadophilia. I will surely clarify if anyone wants to ask for clarification of anything, I speak better than I type, I think.

But given that, with the correct 'treatment' you could create a me where my desires were supressed (Assuming society deemed it immoral/unnacceptable to engauge in hetrosexual intercourse etc.) to a point where I could control them. Could the presence of those desires ever be completely vanquished? I doubt it, so how can we so readily accept full rehabilitation for peadophiles?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're digressing.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if we can accept that an offender's chance of reoffending can never be reduced to 0%, what is an acceptable chance of reoffending, where we can call a perpetrator rehabilitated?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. This is up to the market to decide
2. This has very little to do with my proposition

We live in an age of punishment. People believe that people will stop acting badly as long as you punish them enough for their bad behaviour.

Ofcourse, this ideology is both evil and insane. People act badly precisely because they have been treated badly. Why do people get angry and look for punishment/hurting? Because that's the only tool they have, they have nothing else. Because if they were to *really* try to make things better, then they would have to try to understand *why* people act in the way they do. But this is something most people never dare to do, because then they would have to evaluate their own lives as well, and that's not something people tend to do when they more easily just project their insecurity on others and make others feel the pain and frustration they themselves feel.

This concept explained in one of my vids:

Stand by me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsTgngBL1YY
(starts at 14m55s)
Old 11-17-2007, 12:37 AM

Of course, there's another alternative. Do what they do in Arab countries. 200 lashes for the victim.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 AM

Didnt someone in BBV who was in prison for awhile say they were abused pretty badly? (the child molestors/ rapists)
Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didnt someone in BBV who was in prison for awhile say they were abused pretty badly? (the child molestors/ rapists)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a CO. I'm not saying it doesn't happen anywhere, what I am saying is that I've worked in three different facilities, and I've never seen it. Of course they were all in GA, and in GA, you get the "Private Quarters" if you're considered to be in danger.

Don't get me wrong, these guys are in severe danger from other inmates, but they're also kept away from the general population for that exact reason.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm against the death penalty, but if someone rapes a child of mine I'll kill him if I can.

I'm opposed to vigilantism also, so no it doesn't make any sense. But at some point principles break apart for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, you would let your desire overwhelm you, and you would act on that desire regardless of how destructive/immoral it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. If I let desire overwhelm me I increase the risk of failing. Distanced thought and dry logic would serve far better. This isn't anger or emotion speaking on my part - this is simple choice.