Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Most surprising move I\'ve seen on a golf course

Myself and two friends play every Thursday, with one of my friends being out several other times per week. On one of his "other" days, he was paired with some random guy (Paul) who was a decent player and a good guy, so they have been playing together on Sundays. Today, me and the other friend both decided to play with them as well.

We arrive at the course to play as a foursome, and apparently the other guy has brought a friend along as well, so now we are a fivesome. Me and one friend shoot in the mid90s, our regularly playing friend low 80s, Paul mid 80s. It turns out the friend he's brought along is a 130ish type golfer, not exactly ideal for a fivesome.

After 2 holes, we are a little slow but the course is quiet so not a big deal. However, on the second green, Paul putts out and then says he is going to tee off on the third to help us keep up the pace. No big deal, there's four of us left to putt out, he can go tee off and we'll spend a little less time on the 3rd tee.

I putt out next and see Paul teeing off, and decide I'll walk over and tee off as well. However, rather than waiting, Paul starts walking off to his ball. Fair enough, I figure, he's just going to walk up to his ball and wait for our tee shots.

Negative - he walks up, hits and keeps walking and we never see him again for the remainder of the round. He leaves his 130shooting friend with us and plays as a single.

Our regularly playing friend was so tilted, he quit the round at the end of the 3rd hole.

Cliffs notes: group of 3 friends plays with a group of 2 friends. One of the twosome plays ahead and leaves the other four behind on the third hole.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Most surprising move I\'ve seen on a golf course

What a dick...he should've instead dropped back with HIS friend behind your 3some
Old 09-02-2007, 06:08 PM

dick move, but seriously:
[ QUOTE ]
Our regularly playing friend was so tilted, he quit the round at the end of the 3rd hole.

[/ QUOTE ]this guy needs to get a grip.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What a dick...he should've instead dropped back with HIS friend behind your 3some

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, or even better, suggested that he and HIS friend play as a twosome behind you guys right at the first tee.
It not much different than a high school dance -- you dance with the one who brung ya....
Old 09-03-2007, 03:59 AM

Hahahahahha.....

I made the mistake of playing a round with a newbie yesterday(shot 140 on his first ever 18hole round) and I wish I had quit after hole 1. Its not the extra strokes that are annoying, its the complete lack of golf etiquette, it put me on tilt just like your friend that quit.

Your explanation was confusing, was the 130 guy Paul's friend and Paul's friend only? If so he pulled a dick move, but maybe he got stuck into bringing this guy and figured that leaving you guys as a 4some was better than bringing this idiot AND playing as a 5some.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

. Its not the extra strokes that are annoying, its the complete lack of golf etiquette

[/ QUOTE ]

So teach them?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:48 PM

lesson learned, tell paul to [censored] off

also, I have found playing foursomes is very tiresome...play and early twosome or a threesome at most with people that play under 100...also play provisionals if the ball ends up in a hazard or is extremely hard to find. Nothing like a bunch of newbies on a sunday afternoon slowing down the course pace b/c they must find their ball in the rocks. Take a drop and hit again, and pick up the [censored] pace.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 AM

tips for those of you that have friends that are hackers:
1. Most of you don't know the rules of golf so don't try and explain them.
2. The hackers are trying to have fun. Forget stroke and distance for OB off the tee. Let 'em hit where they think they went out and tell 'em to count an extra stroke.
3. Same thing for direct and lateral hazards.

Unless you're carrying a USGA handi or playing in some sort of quasi-official event, quit being nitty! Play resort golf and everyone's happier.

Oh yeah, hit Paul with a wedge and never play with the prick again.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

. Its not the extra strokes that are annoying, its the complete lack of golf etiquette

[/ QUOTE ]

So teach them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people are hesitant to help others with golf etiquette. I guess because most people don't care much for confrontation. Or maybe they are not skilled at how to approach the subject.

I was playing with my father a few weeks ago and he has this habit of standing behind people when they are hitting. He thinks he is being helpful to watch the shot(by behind I mean on the line of play). I asked him privately and politely to please not stand there as it can be distracting. He got annoyed/put off and I had to remind him that I was being polite - and the USGA rule book states it is poor etiquette to stand in a player's line of play. BTW I especially don't like it when partners stand behind the hole when I am putting, and I will ask you to move! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked him privately and politely to please not stand there as it can be distracting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. People ought to stand parallel to the player and ball. Then there's no trouble at all.