Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2007, 01:11 PM

Default PF Raising Logic

I think I take a very different approach to PF play than most ppl and I wanted to know y there is so much reason for let's say re-raising AK pf. To me, it seems that when ur raising AQ or AK pf, although it's true that ur def ahead of their range and could say ur raising for value, isn't it also true that the hands ur ahead of (kq,kj,k10,gj,g10,a10,aj,a9s) will fold out and if u get called u prob either have the same hand or a hand like a small pp or sc which isn't likely to play a big pot unless ur crushed. So, it seems more reasonable to cold call with hands like aq and win big pots when ppl flop an ace with a jack kicker etc. I'm still unsure about blind defending since I do think there is a lot of value in getting as much in pf and therefore cutting down the post flop edge of position, but i think u have to balance the fact that a lot of worse hands will fold out into ur considerations. As for re-raising pp, I see 3-betting small pps as essentially the same as 3-betting SCs (deceptive and hoping to flop big hands) and i c big pocket pairs being fine with raising since u r usually gonna get called by worse pocket pairs all day long, along with the profitable possibiltiy of getting it in pf (whereas I try and avoid getting AK and def AQ in pf). I wanna make sure i'm not saying u should never 3-bet these hands as that is obviously exploitable, just saying that to me, auto-pot mashing against a raise with AQ seems to have some considerable downsides. Also, against loose fishes, its obviously different since they r calling pf very light. Any thoughts?