Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Dateline NBC \"to catch a predator\", possible entrapment?

Hillarious.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hillarious.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else noticed that any time you apply this same process to any other kind of crime you end up with an absurd situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, try this one on:

Hajji wants to blow up a passenger airliner. He goes to a website dedicated to such fanatics, and meets "Ahmad", who is really Special Agent Martin Danno.

Hajji straps dynamite under his belt, and heads for the airport to meet "Ahmad". He is arrested.

Hajji is shocked to discover that there never was a "Ahmad", just Special Agent Danno. He's been duped.

Do you still think that Hajji has committed no crime?

(BTW, there are all sorts of examples that kids in First Year Law School are taught to demonstrate the legal definition of "intent". If you shoot me while I'm sleeping--but it turns out that I wasn't sleeping, I was already dead--you still go away for attempted murder. If I leap from a tall building to my certain death, but you decide to take out your gun and use me for skeet shooting practice when I'm halfway down, you're still going away for attempted murder.)
Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you think you're gonna have sex with a minor, is driving by her house a crime? If you never get out of the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

The marks were meeting the decoys at their house at a certain time to specifically have sex. That's intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen some episodes where the mark drives by the house and decides not to stop only to get pulled over and arrested.

One thing I think is ridiculous is the actual arrests, the cops know these guys are harmless but they almost always throw them to the ground, rough them up, etc. Trying to hoolywood it up I guess.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else noticed that any time you apply this same process to any other kind of crime you end up with an absurd situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, try this one on:

Hajji wants to blow up a passenger airliner. He goes to a website dedicated to such fanatics, and meets "Ahmad", who is really Special Agent Martin Danno.

Hajji straps dynamite under his belt, and heads for the airport to meet "Ahmad". He is arrested.

Hajji is shocked to discover that there never was a "Ahmad", just Special Agent Danno. He's been duped.

Do you still think that Hajji has committed no crime?

(BTW, there are all sorts of examples that kids in First Year Law School are taught to demonstrate the legal definition of "intent". If you shoot me while I'm sleeping--but it turns out that I wasn't sleeping, I was already dead--you still go away for attempted murder. If I leap from a tall building to my certain death, but you decide to take out your gun and use me for skeet shooting practice when I'm halfway down, you're still going away for attempted murder.)

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. The law schools are so unimaginative - we got the same examples in Canada 10 yrs ago. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HotBabe1994: So there I was, in the middle of Teohuatanectxipatal, the lost ruins of the ancient Mayan civilization. I was frightened as it was a cloudy day and there was a brist wind. I descended into the temple room where out of nowhere a man dressed like a wolf came into the room. He tore my clothes off with his fangs and proceeded to f-word me in my p-word for 2 hours straight. I squirted 4x.

[/ QUOTE ]
L O L

[/ QUOTE ]

Accidentall copy and paste?

Edit: oh, I missed the setup the first time. Nice.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:09 PM

ahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha thank you BEP
Old 06-15-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
struggles2: what's going on
HotBabe1994: inside?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaahaha

-Al
Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 PM

I read a couple of those chat logs. I wonder do any 12-13 kids actually ever talk anything like that? Or do the sting operators just play on how these guys wish kids would talk. It seems to me like in real cases would go a lot differently. Like more vague with promises of presents or something. I dunno.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:30 PM

i lol while reading the chat from BEP's post.

Back to the issue though... those who say the position of entrapment shows utter ignorance to the law are being unfair to the position. The supreme courts ruling in the other case posted in the thread is an example. The case was a 5-4 split amongst the justices. According to this Washington Post article "Some defense lawyers have challenged the television sting operations as entrapment..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090601863.html

Both sides have reasonable cases in these argument and the deciding line is thiner than is given credit.

More from the article:

"Defense attorneys argued that Kaye didn't believe the boy was 13. Kaye, who is divorced, testified that he had had numerous homosexual experiences with adults and thought he was talking to a young adult."

Excerpt from chat:

REDBD [04:30 AM]: you are very very mature conrad(Here he goes again with the compliments...)
MadC Rad1992 [04:31 AM]: uhm thanx? lol
REDBD [04:31 AM]: noim serious
MadC Rad1992 [04:31 AM]: i had 2 do alot since my mom died
REDBD [04:31 AM]: for a 13 yr old you handle yourself very well