Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 04:18 PM

Default \"It’s 10 p.m. Is your child trying to fill an inside straight?\"

Although this article is nominally about TV saturation of poker, the article puts out the type of stuff that your local congressman might be reading from when time comes to vote on the pending online bill.

http://specialsections.nypost.com/ne...604/p12_s1.htm

[ QUOTE ]
On a recent sea cruise, one loaded with kids on break, we daily spied 10, 12, 15 kids — boys, no older than 18 and as young as 12 — wearing logo-laden T-shirts that identified the wearers as poker players, especially as played on the Internet and watched on TV.

These kids were heard to be consumed by poker and its requisite stories of kids going broke, kids stealing to feed their poker habits, kids being suspended from school and tossed out of sleep-away camps because of transgressions committed in the pursuit of Texas Hold ’Em, a poker game that TV has mainstreamed and mainlined.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hang with the teen crowd, but I don't see this as a fair sampling of teen interest in poker. But I guess it's more important to some people that this type of article gets out than whether or not it's accurate or not.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:07 AM

Default Re: \"It’s 10 p.m. Is your child trying to fill an inside straight?\"

Drinking and Smoking are terrible things, but i see no article on combating that.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:46 AM

Mainlined? Wow... they sure know how to use hyperbole.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:05 AM

poker in my high school was bad
Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 AM

Talk about saturation... the anti-drinking and -smoking campaigns are so mainstream we take them for granted.

Ah, poker - the next big vice of the impressionable youth.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:39 AM

I wonder if the person writing the article realised that the reason the kid wants Doyle Brunson as his dinner guest is because of his book not [as seen on tv] at all!!!!

I wish all 16 year olds could read and understand books as complex as Super System - wish I could actually. The author's vocabulary might encompass hyperbole, I doubt his maths would be good enough to face the 16 year old.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:28 AM

when i was a kid forty years ago i learned math by trying to fill an inside straight. it didn't affect me, that's because i attend my AA, GA, OA, NA and SA meetings regularly.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:59 PM

As someone who recently finished up his teen years, I am sad to say that poker in high school is huge. They don't do it because they love it, they do it because its the thing to do. It's sad that the little bastards who can't control their gambling have to ruin it for the rest of us.

Side Note: Even though poker is huge in the high school scene, I have yet to run into any teens with big gambling problems because of poker. I am not saying that there aren't any, but the problem is not as big as the media and politicians are making it seem.

Side Note 2: Drunk driving and unprotected sex literally eclipse poker as far as being a problem for teens.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:13 PM

Muschink is the same idiot that had a problem with wrestling for all those years too. He is an idiotic crusader against petty vices.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As someone who recently finished up his teen years, I am sad to say that poker in high school is huge. They don't do it because they love it, they do it because its the thing to do. It's sad that the little bastards who can't control their gambling have to ruin it for the rest of us.

Side Note: Even though poker is huge in the high school scene, I have yet to run into any teens with big gambling problems because of poker. I am not saying that there aren't any, but the problem is not as big as the media and politicians are making it seem.

Side Note 2: Drunk driving and unprotected sex literally eclipse poker as far as being a problem for teens.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding! Going busto with your part time McDonalds money is pretty minor compared to getting knocked up at 17! And that is obviously not the worst result of unprotected teen sex.

One of these kid saving brainiacs should expose the real problem with American youth...too much unsupervised free time to spend "hanging out". Would I rather have my kids at home playing poker? Damn skippy! Are there other options? Of course. That is not the point...if your going to start a crusade, start with the nomad vandals that congregate in the middle of the damn street with cell phones, purses, make up and cigarettes and stop trying to demonize a game.[/rant]