Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Chips missing after a game?

i used a brand new set of custom chips in my game last night. i knew how many of each chip i had but at the end of the night 7 $25 chips were missing.

one guy called this morning saying he had 4 of them and that he was drunk and went south for his initial buy in. still 3 others are missing. im a little worried that they may get introduced in a future game... what can i do to protect myself...

the game is all pretty close friends and really no outsiders.... suggestions?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Chips missing after a game?

Call each of your friends?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 PM

Well this sounds like a cash game, so there should be extra cash since $175 worth of chips never got cashed in yes? So you put the $175 aside and what does it matter if the chips get introduced later? I'm assuming the "missing chips" are really non-cashed-in chips and not just chips someone has taken from the case without paying? (otherwise how could your buddy "go south"?)
Old 11-28-2007, 04:14 PM

Wow, this sucks. Yeah, if you weren't over $175, then either someone is stealing, or a bunch of drunk idiots didn't count right when cashing out.

Rule #1 of Cash Game: Only ONE PERSON the entire night makes a chip/cash transaction. Nobody else touches chips. Ever. If the count is off, it's the responsibility of that person to cover it. If you get racks, they're a lot easier to count and verify without disturbing the game. If you're at the end and everyone is cashing out at once, keep the cash on the table in front of every stack until it's all verified.

I'm sorry you're missing chips. I've had a couple disappear here and there, but most were found behind shelves or under carpets. So far no chips have re-appeared in a game. That would be even more troubling.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:18 PM

i think i was over some but not 175 worth. ive been a little disorganized with this so far. i just cash everyone out and keep whats left. i also am not sure what i bought in for and i didnt really count my chips. i bought racks for the new chips which is how i knew that chips were missing. even more disorganized is the way the chips were handled last night. i handled the money and the buying chips but i made a mess of some chips while drunk and spilled a rack that had $5 and $25 chips. the guy who went south said he thought he went south but didnt ask for money for them (he was SUPER hammered). still im missing three. i thinking of making a few calls.....
Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 PM

Guess what- you just learned some valuable, if somewhat expensive, hosting lessons.

Lose all of the bad habits that you're already aware of and go forward from there.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:23 PM

you could mark all your $25 chips with something very subtle. but good luck figuring out who puts a stolen chip back in circulation... although you might catch them.

This will teach you to be more careful minding the bank... we had a couple incidents where the bank ended up off by $20 and now the host is the exclusive banker. Problem went away.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:31 PM

If you spilled half a rack how sure are you that these chips didn't roll away under something? I mean it's unlikely anyone is going to admit to having them if you call them, because if you weren't $175 over then that means they stole them.

Another reason to count your chips also instead of just keeping whatever is left over. This is exactly why the host handles all the chips and cash, if you screw up, it's on you. Really the problem isn't missing chips, it's that your cash vs chips didn't add up at the end of the night.

My personal view is that you should be on the hook for the chips if they show up later. You didn't count your cash or chips, you have no way of knowing after the fact if you profited from having people not cash in chips, so if someone plays them later they should have every right to assuming you don't KNOW that they stole them.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 PM

easy fix:

keep the rake seperate
keep chip case closed and near you/in sight of all players. (there is not a poker table on earth that would allow another to grab chips without paying -friends or not.)

also, remember to bring change (small bills) to the game

the kitty will be on every time. if not, you need to take the loss because you made a mistake. enjoy. -mj

also, for your own sake, be careful not to blame others for stealing those missing chips. drunk guy may have lost them, they might be under the couch etc. if there was someone there that you suspect, keep em on a leash.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had a couple disappear here and there, but most were found behind shelves or under carpets. So far no chips have re-appeared in a game. That would be even more troubling.

[/ QUOTE ]

2+yrs hosting a revolving door and ive never had it happen either. it takes a lot of nerve to attempt something like this, especially if youre playing w/friends. if your careful, youll have no worries.