Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Cotto Vs Mosley

Cotto -140
Mosley +110

Why is Mosley the underdog? Upon first inspection it seems like there's a mistake in the line, mosley has faced better competition and beat better comp(mainly just oscar delahoya) and Cotto's chin is questionable...

Me being paranoid, I'm trying to figure out if Cotto has a serious stylistic advantage? Is mosley's footwork so bad that his body is going to be battered this fight?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Cotto Vs Mosley

Cotto is the fav because he is younger, stronger, bigger, in his prime, undefeated, better body puncher and an absolute wrecking ball at 147. Not to mention the fight is New York the so the crowd will be Pro-Cotto.

Mosley does have a few things going for him, but Cotto is the obvious favorite.

Just a hint, look at more then who a fighter has previously fought. There is a lot more that goes into a fight/fighter then just that.

Tuds
Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cotto is the fav because he is younger, stronger, bigger, in his prime, undefeated, better body puncher and an absolute wrecking ball at 147. Not to mention the fight is New York the so the crowd will be Pro-Cotto.

Mosley does have a few things going for him, but Cotto is the obvious favorite.

Just a hint, look at more then who a fighter has previously fought. There is a lot more that goes into a fight/fighter then just that.

Tuds

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately my boxing knowledge/understand is very limited, though I am a fan of the sport. My friend secured a skybox...so we're going to the event and he's made his mind that he's gonna bet what I consider to be a HUGE amount for himself, something likea 30u bet on mosley so I wanted to do a lil research on it. A)He's a huge fan of boxing, so maybe I'll put some action on mosley too, god knows I have to bet if I'm watching it live and the larger the better

but mainly

B) Being a fan of the sport doesn't mean you know how to bet it and I"m worried for him.

He beleives shane is just so much better of a boxer than cotto and that forrest had a jab whereas cotto does not. He thinks shane's footwork is underrated etc etc. Enlighten me tuds
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 PM

I won't get into a big write up on this fight until the week of, but man you are lucky to not be only going to this fight, but have skybox seats to boot. Congrats. Forget about Hatton/Mayweather, Cotto/Mosley is the best/most entertaining fight on the books (I would say actually its a draw between this fight and Kessler/Calzagne). I think Hatton/Mayweahter will be one-sided and a hug-fest at some points and a game of chase at others. Anyways I am envious of you for getting to experience this fight.

On to the fight. It's your friend's money so he can spend it any way he wants, but if you can't decide on fighter you can take the OVER in the this fight. Cotto is not a one punch KO guy, he usually wears his opponents down, while Mosley is quick with a good chin to not suffer a ton of damage. I don't even know the line on the over, but that is a good route if you can't choose between a fighter.

Also you might want to tell your friend Mosely is 36 and that is about 46 when you consider the smaller weight classes. Mosely does have good footwork and quick hands, but he is not as fast as he was 6-7 years ago.

More to Come,
Tuds
Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 AM

bump? I like Mosley at the current price, but would like to hear more opinions too.

Also, any thoughts on the undercard?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 01:22 PM

I'm surprised at some of the pro-Mosley comments here... I've been thinking that Cotto is the side here -> too strong, home 'ring' advantage... etc.

Either way, this one might be as good as the Calzaghe fight last week.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised at some of the pro-Mosley comments here... I've been thinking that Cotto is the side here -> too strong, home 'ring' advantage... etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see it...Mosley has the reach, mosley has the speed, mosley has the experience, and mosley has been tested ...

This is one of those times where if Mosley wins, I have serious regret because from what I can tell I'm supposed to bet 10u on him...but i certainly won't put any heavy action on him. Why? I just don't trust my boxing knowledge enough.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see it...Mosley has the reach, mosley has the speed, mosley has the experience, and mosley has been tested ...

This is one of those times where if Mosley wins, I have serious regret because from what I can tell I'm supposed to bet 10u on him...but i certainly won't put any heavy action on him. Why? I just don't trust my boxing knowledge enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the reason for my bump, all signs point to Shane, and I'm looking for reasons not to take him at +130 if there are any obvious ones I am overlooking. I think he is more of a live dog than Pavlik was. Cotto had issues with Judah and got knocked silly for a while by Torres too. As long as Shane has enough of his "prime" left, I think he can make a bloody mess of Cotto. The guys that beat Shane, Wright and Forrest, are nothing at all like Cotto.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was the reason for my bump, all signs point to Shane, and I'm looking for reasons not to take him at +130 if there are any obvious ones I am overlooking. I think he is more of a live dog than Pavlik was. Cotto had issues with Judah and got knocked silly for a while by Torres too. As long as Shane has enough of his "prime" left, I think he can make a bloody mess of Cotto. The guys that beat Shane, Wright and Forrest, are nothing at all like Cotto.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly wouldn't say all signs point to Mosely. He is 36 years old and is a former BALCO steriod abuser/cheater. Cotto, on the other hand, is 27 and definitely in his prime.

While it's true that Cotto displayed a weak chin at 140 (getting rocked bad by Corley as well as Torres), he's looked great at 147. I was at his fight with Judah, so I didn't have the best view (meaning I haven't seen the TV replay), but I don't know what you are talking about when you say he had "problems" with him. It was a pretty dominating performance against the former undisputed 147lbs champ.

As for Mosely, when is the last time he fought a top fighter in his prime? I guess you would have to go back to Vernon Forrest (2002), if you could consider Vernon a top fighter (and of course he lost that fight).

I am not saying he doesn't have an impressive resume. His wins over DLH are impressive, and there is no great shame in losing to Wright at 154. My point is that he tends to stick to big name, over the hill, over-rated fighters. That's how you get massive paydays in boxing, so who can blame him?

Anyway, I haven't bet on this match because I am not sure how it will turn out. My gut tells me that Cotto will be too much for Mosely, bringing just too much pace (inluding bodywork) for 36 year old Mosely to keep up with. But then there is the fact that Mosely has been successful as high as 154 lbs, and maybe Cotto's weak chin/bad defense is still there even at 147.

So I'm not gonna be on either side of this fight, but I totally disagree that all signs point to Mosely. This seems like a really interesting fight and I am excited to watch it.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Even though Mosley has the handspeed and technique edge, he's fundamentally an aggressor. He also isn't the ridiculous combination-punching machine he was a couple of divisions lower. He hasn't really shown one-punch power above 135. Torres and Judah are much bigger punchers, and even though they hurt Cotto, they couldn't finish him. I'd be surprised by an early Mosley KO.

Mosley isn't Mayweather- he's going to come forward, since that's just what he does, and he's going to get hit to the body, and he's probably going to get hit to the body a lot. Can Mosley, at 36, post-BALCO, take those shots and still be effective in the second half of the fight, or is he going to get broken down like everybody else Cotto has faced? That's the theme of this fight IMO.

I don't begin to know how to objectively cap something like that, since Mosley hasn't faced a sick body puncher since at least 2000 (if ever, I don't know all of the early names he's beaten). Cotto has fought A-/B+ level guys with much better handspeed and beaten them anyway.

Cotto -150, which is 60% to win, doesn't seem that far out of line. Put a gun to my head, and I'm taking Cotto -150, but it's not a fight I'm looking to jump on heavy since the central theme is so hard to cap.