Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Computer/best buy buying advice

[ QUOTE ]
Intel is like $50 more so I will probably go with that. And yea, I decided to just build my own dell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a heads up, I've been researching a little for a new laptop, and have read that Dell has been having problems recently with timely shipping on certain models, especially with school starting soon - link.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK why AMD?

Dells are $50 less for the AMDs it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

cheaper, and in laptops they run cooler...just don't get the desktop replacement chip, get a Celeron or whatever the next one in that line is

[/ QUOTE ]

wait... celeron is intel. Do you mean get the Intel for a laptop or get the AMD (insert name here) chip?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:18 AM

At least when I bought mine, the top of the line AMD dual processor was significantly cheaper than the Intel dual - the guy basically asked me "are you doing anything with like AutoCAD? No? No good reason to get the intel then"

PS, PT PAHUD and various other programs all definitely work with Vista.

And dude, I just had a Dell, and let me tell you that I would not do so again. Seriously, I really think you get more bang for your laptop buck with HP or (from what I've heard) Toshiba.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:18 AM

From the stuff I've read (mostly extremetech.com), I'd conclude that getting an intel laptop is worth $50 over getting an AMD in terms of both performance and power usage. If ilya has more/other/better data than I do, I'm interested to hear it. As a disclaimer, I had been an AMD fanboi, rooting for the underdog versus the evil empire, esp. when AMD did have a performance advantage over intel. But lately, it looks like AMD has dropped the ball.

Edit: And yeah, the latest I'd seen was that AMD chips were notoriously hotter than intel.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK why AMD?

Dells are $50 less for the AMDs it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

cheaper, and in laptops they run cooler...just don't get the desktop replacement chip, get a Celeron or whatever the next one in that line is

[/ QUOTE ]

wait... celeron is intel. Do you mean get the Intel for a laptop or get the AMD (insert name here) chip?

[/ QUOTE ]

er oops my bad [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

yeah i mean celeron
Old 08-24-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Intel is like $50 more so I will probably go with that. And yea, I decided to just build my own dell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a heads up, I've been researching a little for a new laptop, and have read that Dell has been having problems recently with timely shipping on certain models, especially with school starting soon - link.

[/ QUOTE ]

well it looks like I wouldn't be affected by the extra delays. I guess that's what you get for having to have a pink laptop lol.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, does anyone know anything about the Dell small business computers? Better value?

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily. I bought my current laptop through small business about 2 years ago, because it was a better value than through home (I paid 1k). My gf just got a new computer a month ago, and home had the better deal.

and you can definitely order through small business even without one. They only ask for a business name, just make something up. And, that's not cheating their rules or anything, they told me over the phone to just make up a name.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 AM

Actually, you can find some great deals at Best Buy in the Sunday insert ads. And Best Buy does not carry those crappy mail in rebates- all rebates are instant. I bought my Toshiba laptop for a mere $600 and am quite happy with it..

If you're going to be doing web surfing, writing emails, the latest and greatest laptop with lots of horsepower is not neccessary.. I think all laptops come with Vista, so your options are limited with the OS.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:57 AM

Get XP if you can, vista is a nightmare & you can always update at a later date when its safe/stable.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get XP if you can, vista is a nightmare & you can always update at a later date when its safe/stable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on why vista is a bad choice now? Most of the customizable laptops I like only offer versions of Vista and I'm not familiar with non Windows systems. Specifically, if I'm just a basic user - no special skills or requirements from my computer - how will Vista affect me? How is it not safe?