Sam and Max was so good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreeed.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: IGN Top 100

[ QUOTE ]
I've never even heard of that game

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's be honest, that's a crappy reason to knock a game.

I haven't played FF7 but GoldenEye was a big development in FPS games...for consoles. You're probably going to be surprised when no-name games you've never heard of like, say, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are ranked higher than Halo 2, amirite?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:33 PM

FF7 is fine where it is - there are an awful lot of games in existence.

I think Goldeneye has been much higher on IGN's past lists. I finished it for the first time just a few weeks ago and it really does not hold up that well. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but from what I've seen, Half-Life 1-2 and Halo 1-2 are all better than Goldeneye, not to mention hybrids like the aforementioned Deus Ex. Even the original Doom is "better" from a historical perspective, and I'm sure it will be on the list.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:15 PM

What made GoldenEye so awesome was the multiplayer which afaik was very uncommon on consoles. I must admit I've spent countless hours playing that but I've never made it past the first level of the single-player.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think Goldeneye has been much higher on IGN's past lists. I finished it for the first time just a few weeks ago and it really does not hold up that well. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but from what I've seen, Half-Life 1-2 and Halo 1-2 are all better than Goldeneye, not to mention hybrids like the aforementioned Deus Ex. Even the original Doom is "better" from a historical perspective, and I'm sure it will be on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to look at Goldeneye from the time it was made. 1997, there was nothing of it's quality available for the FPS genre for consoles, or for the multiplayer experience. Obviously HL1/2 and Halo took what it did and improved upon it, but I don't see what about it didn't hold up well.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah Goldeneye is a very tough game to judge. On one hand when it came out everything about it was awesome and completely addicting single and multi player wise. Half Life comes out, destroys its single player game (and you are absolutely right Halo was the next revolution in console FPS's)...then an onslaught of crack like online FPS's like Counter Strike, Rainbow 6, Unreal Tourmanents; tough to play Goldeneye 4 player split it when you have a team of 8 going against another with voice communication and everything. I will agree with others though...for what it was when it came out it should easily deserve a spot in the top 50 at least...maybe 30.

I always thought FF7 was weak. =/ I played the SNES RGP's and it wasn't mind blowing besides the CGI I guess.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:06 PM

When it (FF7) was new, whenever I went over to my friends house, his brother was always playing it and it looked pretty sweet. I should get my hands on it and play it.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam and Max was so good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, weird I was a huge fan of Secret of Monkey Island & DOTT, yet I've never played Sam & Max. Can't believe I let that one slip!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at "Sam and Max hit the road" over Final Fantasy 7 and Goldeneye. I've never even heard of that game, let alone heard of it being good enough to be ranked higher than what are argued by some as the best RPG and best FPS of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam and Max hit the road is an amazing game and the fact that you've never heard of it makes all your opinions suspect.

The fact that you think FF7 and Goldeneye are arguably the best RPG and FPS of all time makes all of your opinions worthless.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL at "Sam and Max hit the road" over Final Fantasy 7 and Goldeneye. I've never even heard of that game, let alone heard of it being good enough to be ranked higher than what are argued by some as the best RPG and best FPS of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam and Max hit the road is an amazing game and the fact that you've never heard of it makes all your opinions suspect.

The fact that you think FF7 and Goldeneye are arguably the best RPG and FPS of all time makes all of your opinions worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh I wouldn't go that far. You could make "legitimate" arguments for both being the best, but it's pretty clear upon reflection that neither is the best in their genre, groundbreaking and amazing as they may be.