FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Friday Night Lights Season 2

"Don't whisper-yell at me!"
Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How are the ratings this year? They're always threatening to pull the plug on the this show.

[/ QUOTE ] someone just posted not too long ago but theyre not so hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard ESPN is in discussions to take this show over if NBC dumps it.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM

I read somewhere that Bulldog hear that ESPN might pick up this show.

OK THOUGHTS:

I cannot take JFC seriously in this role. Especially when he makes the same face and uses the word "dump".

I liked more confident, baller, Matt. I thought the bit with the nurse and the hand on his shoulder was just really, really fantastic. It's not always that TV is that smart at showing a lot without dialog.

I feel like the Buddy/Santiago story is on the edge of a cliff, and at the bottom of that cliff is a bunch of really stupid cliches. Please let's not have this be super stupid.

Also, please do not have Tyra get back with Riggens. My inner nerd really needs her to get back with my boy Landry.

Landry's response to what his dad did was perfect.

Signs that this show isn't written by football people. Treating Smash like he's an NBA player set on going pro. The whole recruitment angle is badly written, and just flat stupid.

Where was Street?

And yes, "whisper-yell" is the best line ever, or at least last week.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I liked more confident, baller, Matt. I thought the bit with the nurse and the hand on his shoulder was just really, really fantastic. It's not always that TV is that smart at showing a lot without dialog.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really good comment, there are a lot of these moments throughout this show and they are all great. Also, Nurse>>>>>new girl>Julie
Old 11-19-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Signs that this show isn't written by football people. Treating Smash like he's an NBA player set on going pro. The whole recruitment angle is badly written, and just flat stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know Texas HS Football, the recruiting thing is not so far off as you would imagine. Texas is w/o a doubt the most highly recruited state by everyone. Barry Switzer once called Billy Simms at the gas station he was working at from the sideline during a national championship game.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know Texas HS Football, the recruiting thing is not so far off as you would imagine. Texas is w/o a doubt the most highly recruited state by everyone. Barry Switzer once called Billy Simms at the gas station he was working at from the sideline during a national championship game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously that part is realistic. The unrealistic part is Smash acting like he's a one and done college basketball player who will instantly be jumping to the pros. It's just kindof a lazy writing way to say "Smash is more interested in money than education" which is 1- a really cliche plotline 2- not really as interesting as "I want to play for a winning/high profile school moreso than get an education". Overplaying the "going pro" aspect of it just smacks of somebody who isn't familiar with the system.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overplaying the "going pro" aspect of it just smacks of a realistic portrayal of an arrogant teenager

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously that part is realistic. The unrealistic part is Smash acting like he's a one and done college basketball player who will instantly be jumping to the pros. It's just kindof a lazy writing way to say "Smash is more interested in money than education" which is 1- a really cliche plotline 2- not really as interesting as "I want to play for a winning/high profile school moreso than get an education". Overplaying the "going pro" aspect of it just smacks of somebody who isn't familiar with the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

as cliche as it sounds, I think this attitude is one that is prevalent with many talented HS athletes (most of which have been coddled in /out the class room) and are being told how great they are constantly. I think this kind of naivity about the way things really work is more common than ever with the current instant gratification generation.

But maybe we're just arguing over semantics..
Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM

This sounds just like Varsity Blues. I can't imagine Varsity Blues without nudity and cursing, but I guess I will check it out if you guys say so.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:09 PM

It isn't the attitude Dids is saying he has a problem with (correct me if I'm wrong). I love this show too btw. Dids is saying that Smash's words are those of someone who doesn't realize the best way to play in the NFL is to go to Miami, Florida St., UT, Ohio St etc etc. Like Dids said, they're writing Smash as a basketball player who is hyped enough to be a synch draft pick regardless of injury when in football this simply isn't the case. If Smash was a 7'0 big man he could go to SMU and still be drafted after one season, whereas in football he has to at least go for 3 years and even then if he doesn't put up in NCAA he won't be drafted. I think most of these kids are well aware of how the system works.

I think especially in a town like this in Texas where recruits are taken from the high schools in the league every season to play at big D1 schools there's enough information out there that the coaches and parents would have enough influence to have him thinking along the lines of going to Ohio St rather than in the NFL at 21 regardless of where he goes.