Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WHOS HOTTER?
ASIAN MISS POG 6 25.00%
JESSICA PUKE ALBA 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Default The money or the title?

I have been a lurker for a while here. I am not sure where to post this, but figured it might fall under the views category. I have heard so many people say they would rather have a title/bracelet than the money. I honestly find this hard to believe unless someone is already wealthy. My buddy and I were watching poker, and some guy (an unknown as far as I can tell, not a pro) had his interview segment. He was doing the its all about the title, the money doesn't matter speech.

I said to my buddy how I found this hard to believe, that if its one or the other, I would take the cash any day. He said no way, I would want the title. I used the hypothetical question, what if second place paid a million dollars, and the winner nothing but a title. He again said he would take the title. He also hates his job, has huge money issues, and is having trouble keeping up with car payments. So, curiousity is getting me. How many people would really take a title instead of the money, if it was one or the other?
Old 09-08-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: The money or the title?

WSOP Main Event - Title

EPT Main Event - Cash

WPT Championship Event - Title
Old 09-08-2007, 02:58 PM

strangely, the title also usually comes with the largest share of the prizepool

I think a lot of times they are trying to say is, I am playing for first, the small money increase from 4th to 3rd is not what I am playing for.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:02 PM

I guess it depends. I would defintiely take the money if there was no money to be made at all from winning the bracelet. If, however, you could win the WSOP Main Event and get endorsement deals off of that title I might choose the title. It would also depend on what the endorsements would be.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:03 PM

Money ldo
Old 09-08-2007, 03:20 PM

Yeah, that always strikes me as stupid. Mostly a vanity thing, although some here are trying to approach it from a practical standpoint. Unless you're someone like Phil Helmuth though, winning a silly bracelet ought to be secondary to getting the big cash out. Particularly if you're primarily a tourney player--the big money wins don't roll around that often.

Consider:

There are a lot of poker enthusiasts on this site, yet how many do you think can name all the WSOP champions from memory? All the bracelet winners? A title or two doesn't bring you that much prestige. The ME may be the only title worth much beyond the cash payout. And, considering that payout is so high, it would still probably be smarter to take the money.

I think a lot of people simply think it sounds better to say they're playing for the title on TV. It's what the big pros always say. Obviously nobody (except maybe Helmuth and some celebrity players) plays just to collect trophies and jewelry; the money's the goal.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM

everyone knows, it isnt really an honor to win a bracelet lol. All the poker donks respect you, but if you know something about poker you will know the guy getting first most likely ran hot, and could be a beginner.

So obv you take the cash.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM

the title...
knowing that i'm good enough to repeat my success to be a winning player and make money in the long run.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Umm...

Titles Rule Everything Around Me T.R.E.A.M.??
Old 09-08-2007, 04:42 PM

Get the money
Dollar, dollar bill y'all