Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Led Zeppelin Is Just a Great \"COVER\" Band

I dont like led zeppelin much, but I do like their blues, and yes, its obv that they are "covers" of classic blues songs. On the one hand, they should have paid royalties to whomever they should have, but w/ blues music a lot of it could have been hard to figure out who they owed if they did owe anyone.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 AM

Strange that there is not yet one mention of rap/hip-hop to this point. Early hip-hop was rampant with sampling and uncredited beats, etc. Still we give them their props, and I love 80s-early 90s rap. I'm sure classical composers borrowed from each other too. In the end, this thread is [censored].

Disposable Heroes rips off a riff from Symptom of the Universe which is a rip-off of Communication Breakdown blah blah blah...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but w/ blues music a lot of it could have been hard to figure out who they owed if they did owe anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this was one of the points I was making. A lot of those old blues riffs are "canon" fodder if you will. It would be like trying to pay royalties for "Happy Birthday".
Old 06-28-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but w/ blues music a lot of it could have been hard to figure out who they owed if they did owe anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this was one of the points I was making. A lot of those old blues riffs are "canon" fodder if you will. It would be like trying to pay royalties for "Happy Birthday".

[/ QUOTE ]

well, single riffs are fairly common throughout different songs, but there def are whole songs that they cover that they should have been paying royalites to (chess records etc), whether they did or no, i have no idea.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:37 AM

[censored] thievin' white boys.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 AM

always knew zep ripped off the american blues. i tend to like their later stuff (houses of the holy) better, but i think they should probably have paid some folks or at least copped to it more publicly.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange that there is not yet one mention of rap/hip-hop to this point. Early hip-hop was rampant with sampling and uncredited beats, etc. Still we give them their props, and I love 80s-early 90s rap. I'm sure classical composers borrowed from each other too. In the end, this thread is [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you introduce rap to the discussion when it's specifically about Zeppelin?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Disposable Heroes rips off a riff from Symptom of the Universe which is a rip-off of Communication Breakdown blah blah blah...

[/ QUOTE ]

the difference imo, is that raps samples other songs, only a piece of another song is used, and usually in a novel way. LZ just re-did whole songs. in teh end your post is [censored], and doesnt apply.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the difference imo, is that raps samples other songs, only a piece of another song is used

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when all you need is a 5 second sample to loop throughout 4 minutes...
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 PM

Grunching this thread to point out that it's not "stealing".

There's only like 5 damn blues songs ever, and everybody does them. The only person with a right to be pissed is dead anyway.

A huge part of blues is taking a standard and putting your twist on it. (much like hip-hop, where takinga sample and flipping it gets props, whole scale Puffy type beat re-use does not).

"Stealing" implies pulling the wool over somebody's eyes and hoodwinking them into thinking you wrote it, and that's obviously not the case.