Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 07:45 PM

Default Young, single guys who live alone or with friends

I'm moving out soon because my 1 hour commute each way to work in bumper to bumper traffic is killing me, and because most people would look at me funny if they knew how old I was and still living at home.

My mom says I'm wrong and wants me to stay home until I get married (though I'm not sure quite how high quality of a wife I'd find under those conditions). I love my family - but I don't look forward to that destinty. Freedom would be cool for a few years before the proverbial ball & chain.

Is she wrong, or am I insane?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Young, single guys who live alone or with friends

Right now I'm living at home before I start school again in August. WHen I was in college I missed home cooked meals, my own room/bed, free everything, a stocked fridge, no responsibility, mom doing laundry, all that [censored]. It was [censored] sweet. After living at home for a year, as cool as all these things are, I am ready to move out. I definitely think if you are out of college and not in a transitioning period between undergrad and grad or undergrad and job (where it would be ok to stay at home for up to a year or something) you should definitely move out. My social life has suffered severely this year because i am living and commuting from home and when I am out in the city I can't just hang out with my boys late night cause the last train leaves at 1AM and I am too drunk to drive, or take girls back to an apartment x blocks a way, etc, etc... how cool do you sound being like "let's go back to my place.... it's 25 minutes away and in the suburbs. Don't worry my parents are asleep".
Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 PM

Old 05-24-2006, 07:57 PM

The last time I lived at home was the summer after my fresman year of college. I imagine this is pretty typical.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:57 PM

Not many responses, so I'll give you mine. I'm 18, and moved to another city for university, and I live in my own apartment (not residence).

I love it, and hopefully I"ll never move back home with my parents...knock on wood
Old 05-24-2006, 07:59 PM

If not becoming an adult and wandering into your twenties as a pathetic man-boy parasite appeals to you - by all means stay at home and let Mommy take care of you.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:59 PM

20, junior in college. moved out to live in dorms freshman year. lived at home the last two summers. not living at home this summer. not moving back home after graduation.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 PM

I actually did not move out until I was around 26 and paid no rent while living at home. I graduated college around 22 so I was working full time for 4 years while still at home. Would I do it again? Hell yes

Just think, 500 a month in rent + food = let's say 1000 a month easy in savings. 1,000 a month X 12 X 8 years = damn near 100,000 I saved myself. I'm 30 and I just paid off the mortgage on my home. It's clear sailing for me until 45 when I plan to retire.

On the other hand you could move out and be like everyone else when they graduate school.....30K+ in student loans + 20K or more in CC debt that will take them forever to pay off.... a high price to pay to be with your "boys"
Old 05-24-2006, 08:05 PM

Moved out for good in the summer after my sophomore year of college.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:05 PM

Here is the hard and fast rule. Much like the rule that the sun always rises in the east, this rule cannot and should not be challenged.

A man has 120 days from his 18th birthday or the day he graduates from high school (whichever is later) to permanently move out of his parents house, never to return as a resident. The only return to his former home should be as a guest, and never more than two weeks at a time. Exception: after the first year of college, and first year only, a man is allowed to return home as a guest for the summer.

Violations of this rule damn this poor soul to:

1) Never having sex
2) Girls thinking he is really, really weird
3) Social retardation
4) Gayness
5) Monetary dependence upon others, which leads to:

- No sex
- Social and economic retardation
- Permanent entry into Loserville

Move out, dude. And don't look back. Please.