Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Help w/ a Pull/Hook

How do I correct a snap hook? My grip is good. I'm right handed. V's point to right shoulder and right ear. I thought I had it corrected for the most part with a foreward shift in my weight at address. But I just went an entire round with the snap hook using my driver. Please help. Thanks.

BTW, I'm not a beginner. I score in the high 80's/low 90's.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Help w/ a Pull/Hook

Do this as a drill

Make sure the first thing that happens in your downswing is that the left foot is planted, and your weight is on it.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 PM

Can you post a video of you swinging your driver?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to do this within the next few days.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to do this within the next few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great...bump your thread with you video and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback when we have a swing to look at.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great...bump your thread with you video and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback when we have a swing to look at.

[/ QUOTE ]

what am I? chopped liver???
Old 05-15-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do this as a drill

Make sure the first thing that happens in your downswing is that the left foot is planted, and your weight is on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you walk me through this drill? Are you dropping your back foot back at address? Then taking your normal swing, except at the top you're lifting your left off the ground for a split second, then planting it and shifting all your weight on it at the start of your backswing?

BTW, that is a good looking swing.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:31 AM

Pull hooks are often caused by a closed clubface in your backswing. I would go see an instructor tell him you don't want to hit it left and see if he can help.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do this as a drill

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you walk me through this drill? Are you dropping your back foot back at address? Then taking your normal swing, except at the top you're lifting your left off the ground for a split second, then planting it and shifting all your weight on it at the start of your backswing?

BTW, that is a good looking swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of throwing a ball. When you get ready to throw it, your weight goes to your back foot, and your body coils (shoulders turn away from target).
Then,
the FIRST thing that happens is you plant your left foot (shifting your weight). Everything else falls in sequence as it should.
From Roger Clemens, to Peyton Manning, or Willie Mays from center field,....wind up, step, release.
The finish is always marked by the shoulders turning fully(both ways), so that in the end, the right shoulder is closer to the target than the left.

So,
in this drill-
forget the back foot. If it feels good to drop it back, fine. It isn't the focus.
The focus is to:
first, make sure your weight gets on your back foot. If your left foot is off the ground, it has to be.
Second, and critical, make sure the first thing that happens after the backswing is finished is that the left foot gets planted. This effectively starts the unwinding.
You never see a qb, pitcher, bowler, horseshoe pitcher, centerfielder,... that begins unwinding(releasing)the upperbody without first having the weight shifted to the front foot.
But you see it all the time in golf.

Finally, finish with your right shoulder closer to the target than your left (which is another way to say "Don't hang back")

If you are hooking, then the clubface is closing too quickly.
If you first shift your weight, and second keep your body(shoulders) turning through till the finish,
your hands will not release too quickly.

Watch the video again and again. Wind up. Step and fire.

Best of luck!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:32 AM

From Harvey Penick's Little Red Book:

pp 81-82: The Slow Motion Drill

"...As you reach the top of your backswing, replace your left heel solidly on the ground...."

"...What is happenning is that your golfing brain and your muscles are learning to start your downswing by planting your weight and moving your lower body to the left,..."

and p.96: The Magic Move

"If there is any such thing as a Magic Move in the golf swing, to me it is an action that I stress over and over on the practice tee and in this book.
You have heard it from me many times by now, but I will say it again- to start your downswing, let your weight shift to your left foot while bringing your right elbow back down to your body. "

I highly recommend this book to all golfers.