Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 AM

Default God? Maybe. But we all came from something, right?

I've always had a hard time verbalizing my thoughts about whether or not I believe in god. I certainly don't believe in the bible as the "word of god." I really have a hard time accepting that Jesus died for my sins. I think Jesus was probably a really good person that probably taught a lot of people of his time how to live a good life. But was he able to turn water into wine? Probably not. I completly believe in evolution. I think that we evolved from apes and that the universe is something like 3 billion years old. (Although I can't even imagine how long that is) I've always thought that one of the most important things that I've ever asked myself is "where did I come from?" Probably like a lot of people, especially on this forum, I think about that question a lot. And this is what I think. Everything that has ever existed came from the Big Bang. From me and you, to both of my sons (3 and 20 months), to this computer, to all the stars in the sky, the moon, everything in the universe came from the big bang. So in essence, I have ALWAYS existed. The stuff that makes me who I am has ALWAYS been around. It's just that now that I'm me, my perspective has changed. I can see things from this point of view. But the "energy" that created me has always been there. I was trying to explain this to my wife, and 2 friends of ours last night at dinner and I always have a hard time explaining myself. (Maybe you are having a hard time understanding me now) I gave an example to them like this: Imagaine a cup of chocolate milk that doesn't yet exist, but has really ALWAYS been around. I say that it's always been around because the milk is already here, and the Hershey's chocolate syrup is already here, but the chocolate milk doesn't exist yet because the 2 ingredients haven't been mixed together yet. When they get mixed together, the chocolate milk is now created and now can exist as chocolate milk. It's perspective has changed. The stuff that was needed to create me has always existed, it's just now that I am experiencing life from this perspective, and when I die, maybe my perspective will change again. Maybe I will gain the perspective as my oldest son.

I don't know. Maybe this rambling of thoughts doesn't make any sense. Maybe you can understand why I have a hard time verbalizing my thoughts.

Thanks!

BalancedOne
Old 05-29-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Re: God? Maybe. But we all came from something, right?

It's a perfectly reasonable question and it's one that many many have asked before you.

[ QUOTE ]
Everything that has ever existed came from the Big Bang. From me and you, to both of my sons (3 and 20 months), to this computer, to all the stars in the sky, the moon, everything in the universe came from the big bang. So in essence, I have ALWAYS existed. The stuff that makes me who I am has ALWAYS been around.

[/ QUOTE ]
The big bang suggests a finite universe and a beginning. So you haven't ALWAYS existed at some point you banged into existence.

Something that I have brought up before in this question is the idea of eternity and here's my thoughts on it.

0 + 0 = 0

Nothing + nothing = nothing. If there were ever a time when there was absolute nothingness then I am convinced that there would still be nothing. The fact that there is a 1 on this side of equation(something in existence), I am convinced that there has always been an eternal being in existence before me, even before the big bang.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:03 AM

1 + 0 = 1

The world as it is, without a creator, is still the world as it is!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:08 AM

yep, you're right.
I took my little analogy a little further than I usually do, I usually argue that all that is proved is that 'something' has always existed.

So, The argument is not one in support of God - per se, but an argument for Eternity.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 AM

godBoy,

Nothing from something:

0 = -1 + 1

Something from nothing:

-1 + 1 = 0

Weirdness beyond understanding:

-i^2 = 1

And beauty beyond belief:

e^(i*pi) = -1

The universe does not fit into your box.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And beauty beyond belief:

e^(i*pi) = -1

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ++
Old 05-29-2007, 09:16 AM

There's only ones and zero's in the example Phil.

Something and nothing, it's really very simple - wonderfully so [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't a 1 mean whatever I would like a 1 to mean - especially when it's understandable and reasonable to do so?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't a 1 mean whatever I would like a 1 to mean - especially when it's understandable and reasonable to do so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, like you notion of god can mean whatever you would like. No point in discussing it at all, after all reasonable or not, it only has to do with what you think is reasonable, not with any evidence!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:23 AM

jeesh Midge, you really got me. Perhaps Phil will not notice this and respond to me before he sees that you have thoroughly.. shut me down big time!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:07 AM

Hi BalancedOne, here's a post from Metric that seems to address your issue:

[ QUOTE ]
Your consciousness will remain every bit a part of reality, even in the most atheistic sense. The distinction between future, past, and present is somewhat misunderstood -- they're all a part of the same state of the universe. You should not think of death as "an event which causes you not to be" -- you should think of death (along with conception) more as a boundary to the little region of spacetime defining your existence. That corner of spacetime will always be yours; you do exist -- you have been granted reality along with the rest of the universe -- and nothing can ever change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

link