Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Who would be more disappointed to find out the truth?

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I have been an Atheist my entire life so finding out there was a God would be very devastating to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are you so bothered about not believing something that turned out to be true? or even believing something that turned out to be false if your a hard atheist?

chez
Old 10-11-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I have been an Atheist my entire life so finding out there was a God would be very devastating to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are you so bothered about not believing something that turned out to be true? or even believing something that turned out to be false if your a hard atheist?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I kind of look at people who believe as being foolish and that would mean I was wrong to do that. I know you might say that it is wrong to think that way regardless but I can't help it. Also, I have convinced many people in my lifetime to become atheists or agnostics. It would mean I lead them to an eternity in hell (maybe they would have a 'get out of jail' card because they were originally believers) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2006, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I kind of look at people who believe as being foolish and that would mean I was wrong to do that. I know you might say that it is wrong to think that way regardless but I can't help it. Also, I have convinced many people in my lifetime to become atheists or agnostics. It would mean I lead them to an eternity in hell (maybe they would have a 'get out of jail' card because they were originally believers) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just sounds too emotional about the whole thing. If you are an atheist because you need reasons to believe and haven't got any then so what if your wrong? and how could a benevolent god judge you badly for it? If others believe without reason and without admiting its faith then they are foolish even if it turns out they were right.

and others are responsible for their own beliefs not you. Unless you've deliberately mislead them then again so what?

If you're saying that it turns out that a non-benevolent god exists then I agree with your disappointment but so should everyone.

chez