Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Trying to learn to raise for a free SD

OP, I don't know how much experience you have with LHE, and I don't know how on top of the more fundamental aspects of the game you are. I think that the FSDR should be nowhere near the top of your list of concepts to learn. Mostly because getting it wrong can be quite expensive and there'll be very few spots to apply it correctly. Of course if you're completely on top of all of the more important concepts it's probably time to learn this one.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't the free SD raise also apply to a hand which you want to take to SD but also have some outs? An example would be middle pair with a flush draw: We're on the turn with Ah7h on a 2h 7c 5h Js. Villain bets into you. We'll pay 2BB to go to SD either way so we can raise turn intending to check behind non heart non A (thus collecting 3 BBs when we hit gin and still paying 2 when we don't).

As the others mentioned it wont work against aggro opponents who'll 3bet a naked J but I imagine that there're some villains this would be the play against. That being said I don't use the FSD very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason to FSD without any outs is so that you can fold to a 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I see that one, but my question was whether it also applies when you do have outs?

Furthermore I think the FSDR without outs almost always is inferior to calling down because you let people bluff and people don't fold.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM

there is a difference between Free SD and Semibluffing the Turn. Semibluffing means that you usually can't show down, and hope the combination of your draw coming in and the fold equity you create on the turn is + EV
Old 11-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Yeah but a semibluff requires the opponent to be able to fold a better hand. In my example above I don't expect my opponent to fold a jack to a raise but I expect to be putting 2 BB's in when I don't improve and 3 when I do, thus making me able to free showdown my pair of 7s when I need to.

Am I totally on the wrong track on free showdowning a hand with outs?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:35 PM

in a smallish headsup pot it's usually alright to let villain bet into you if you can reasonably showdown. A Turn 3 bet would be a small disaster.
When the pot gets bigger, the raise is a nice play though
Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, I don't know how much experience you have with LHE, and I don't know how on top of the more fundamental aspects of the game you are. I think that the FSDR should be nowhere near the top of your list of concepts to learn. Mostly because getting it wrong can be quite expensive and there'll be very few spots to apply it correctly. Of course if you're completely on top of all of the more important concepts it's probably time to learn this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't much experience, about 7 months in total but with a years break in the middle. I think I will take your advice and move on to a different topic. Thanks a lot everyone!