Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Vegas trip with Bill-continued

Just finished reading part 2: probably the best TR I've ever read. The faith hill thing, the drinking/bad beats + bathroom fight was amazing. OK, I'm not joking, I literally had chills. Just fantastic stuff.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 AM

Rake, don't stop now, be sure to read the other installments by the OP in this thread, they are hilarious.

Loved the 'Bill goes all in needing a 4 to save him' part, and the b*tch slapping session part of the story.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:57 AM

Great trip report!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 AM

This thread does indeed deliver.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:26 AM

Someone forgot to tell the OP that you stay in these dumpy places because of what they're close to. You're not supposed to spend all your time in them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 09:15 AM

Thursday-Dont Call it a Comeback
Final installment

I wake up after about my usual 4 hours of sleep, lay there for an hour but know I won't fall back asleep. Down to the pool and hopefully the sun will make me tired. It doesn't and I guess I wll have to play some more poker after a shower and some food.

Bill is awake and lets me know he busted out of the tournament about 6 away from the money. I think with the big draw the Flamingo gets for it's donkaments this means he finished next to last. He then lost his first $150 buy-in after about 5 hours of play. His next $150 buy-in lasted about 12 hands and off to bed down about $500 on the day. Hey, you had 37 vodka and diets though. Who needs food? He tells me at one point he got mad the waitress was taking to long so he walked to the bar that is literally like 8 feet away from the poker room and ordered a drink. My guess is she was gone about 90 seconds. He goes to hand the bartender a dollar and he says 'uhhh, thats 8 bucks'. Bill-I'm playing poker right there. Bartender--The waitress has to bring them to you and I have to charge up here. Bill-you just keep it then. Bartender-what am I going to do with it? I'll just have the waitress bring it to you. Only Bill and only in Vegas.

The flight I have scheduled is way overbooked so Bill has to leave tonight on a connecting flight. One look at him tells me he is cashed for the trip and won't likely do to much today. The last thing he ate was the fried Oreo Tuesday night. It's noon on Thursday. I walk up to the Venetian and grab some pizza with the intention of playing there. After I eat, for some reason I decide to go to Caesar's instead. I've only played there once and didn't like it that much. The room is nice, clean and the dealers efficient but the overall atmosphere just puts me to sleep. That being said, for some reason I want to go back. As I'm walking to the poker room, it dawns on me, I've been here 5 days and this is the first time I've crossed the street. Again, only in Vegas.

I'm seated with 300 and win a couple small pots and up to 375. As is my usual this week, I slowly dwindle my stack down with trash cards, ill advised bluffs and a few small suckouts. Back to 300 and an overacting kid with about 80 bucks left raises to 8 bucks. 2 more callers and I have 6-9 of spades. I call so I can turn my luck around. Get it?
Anyway, the flop is Q-6-6. I check with the intention of check raising and it's checked around. Hmmm? QQ is the first thing that pops into my mind. The turn is a 9. I bet 25 and he calls. The river is another 9 and I honestly check it. Kid goes all in for his last 52 and I seriously consider mucking it. This would either be the best laydown or biggest nit move I ever make. Since its only 52. I call and he shows QQ. Can I lay this hand down at these limits? Comments wanted.

I have $205 and its 5pm. Utg makes it 10 and I have AA for the second time all week. I make it 30 and utg calls. The flop is harmless and I bet out and take down the pot. The utg who was in the 10 seat gets up and a middle aged guy sits down in his seat with $500. Bad timing bud.

He buys the button while I'm in the BB. A very tight player in the 9 seat mini-raises to $6. The 10 seat calls and I pop it to $30 with KK worried about the mini-raiser. He folds but the button calls. Flop is K-10-8. I bet $50 and he calls. Turn is 9 and I bet like $120 and he cold calls again. What can he have? The river is a 7 putting a 4 straight on the board and I only have $40 bucks left. I check and he checks back. I show and win the pot. Still not sure what he had here but I'm up over $400 in my stack.

15 minutes later I'm under the gun with KK again. I raise to $10 and get 3 callers including the guy from the previous hand now in the sb. Flop is Q-10-2 with 2 diamonds. I bet $50 and it's folded to the small blind who immediately moves in for around $200. Set, diamonds, steaming?? I call. Turn is a small diamond. Sh!t. River is K of clubs. I show my kings and he folds. I ask him if he had AQ and he says I'm very close but he had about 10 outs. Well if I'm close and the diamonds missed him, wtf did he have or is he just full of crap? The K would hit a straight with that many outs, the diamond hits any hand with that many outs, anything else has like 5 outs tops. I think he's full of crap and had AQ like I thought but if someone can figure this out, please comment away. It's 5:15pm and I have $650.

Bill calls at 6pm and is leaving the room for the first time and coming over to meet me.I cash out $623, up 323 for 4 1/2 hours. I'm officially ahead for the first time all week. He is done gambling and even with drinking. We walk through Caesar's and then through the Bellagio where it seems everyone has at least a grand in front of them at every limit-most have much more. I sweat a 5-10 NL game and kick myself for having not played this all week. Some of the players are absolutely terrible. My next time here, I'm playing the bigger games first and I don't care how long it takes to get ahead-the drinking will have to come after I'm up and then I will play small and get crazy drunk. I've screwed around with the small time for years, grown my roll up over 35k and never played live higher than 2-5NL.

We walk outside and the fountains are going off. I ask Bill if he's ever seen this and he hasn't. At the risk of looking like a couple, we shoot the sh!t for a while on the rail of the Bellagio fountain. Bill admits he feels terrible and still hasn't eaten in 2 days or does he want to. There has been zero gambling, alcohol or food for Bill today as he sat in the room and called some of his clients. Alcohol has apparently given him enough calories to sustain life for the last 48 hours. He tells me he can't come out here for 5 nights anymore or he's afraid he will die. I tell him I'm not coming for less than 3 so we decide on 4 next year. Screw you Bill, I plan this trip and 5 will be the norm for all trips to Vegas. A guy walks by that looks similar to the Canadian at Imperial Palace and I laugh a little bit and Bill asks why.

Me- That guy looks like the Canadian from the Imperial Palace.
Bill- What Canadian?
Me- You don't remember the Canadian guy we played poker with for like 5 hours and you sat next to the whole time?
Bill- No, not at all.
Me- Remember, I told him the moose c*ck joke?
Bill- No
Me- Do you remember Faith Hill?
Bill- No
Me- Did you remember to bring your decks of cards back from Binions?
Bill- Yes, but I left them on the bus.
Me- Do you remember me smacking you in the head?
Bill- You smacked me in the head? Why?
Me- Nevermind. Did you even have fun on this trip?
Bill- Hell yes, I had a blast.
Me- How do you know? You don't remember any of it.
Bill- I think I need to re-evaluate my lifestyle.

The fountains end and it's time for Bill to pack up and catch a cab. He wishes me luck, thanks for getting the room and off he goes. I tell him to call me when he gets to the airport and let me know how much the cab was. $11. A little more than half what it took to get to the hotel. If I ever see that lizard looking cabbie again, I will strangle him with his own tongue.

I walk over to Planet Hollywood and get in a game about 8pm. If I can avoid getting cold decked and pissed off, I plan to play the 2am tourney and call it a week. 6 hours is a long way off though. I sit in a game with 3 friends from Phoenix that I sware look they haven't gotten out of high school yet. Another young guy about 25 fires at every pot they enter and is pushing them around. They do catch on however and start firing back. I'm just hoping I can get the right hand in the middle of this battle and win a monster pot. The 25 year old busts 2 of them but then the 3rd guy starts playing every hand and hitting everything. He leaves with close to 800 and I can only imagine how good it would have felt to win that much at 21. No way he's any older than that and this is most likely his first time in a Vegas card room. The table breaks and I move to the next one.

The piano bar starts up around the corner from the poker room and makes it hard to concentrate. He has like 3 sets and is off an on all night until the tournament starts. On top of it, he's really not even that good. If you can't block stuff like this out, you may want to try a different room from 10pm-2am.

I start talking to a guy from Nashville that says his gf was in the Hooters competition the night before. I doubt it looking at this guy but I play along and he tells me she won the viewer's choice and 5k but didn't make it in the top 10 from the judges so they were pretty disappointed. Half an hour later, a gorgeous brunette comes to the rail, probably the best looking girl I saw all week (which is saying a lot in Vegas) and he hops up and gives her a kiss. I guess he was telling the truth. I turn to the guy next to me and ask him what he thinks the top 10 looked like.

It's about 1am and I have been very card dead for about 2 hours but still about even. Finally, I get QQ in the sb and pop it to $20 after several limpers. I've learned from my earlier mistakes this week, making it 10 and 12 when this would work like a charm on the internet doesn't cut it live. I used to play live all the time but kids and job have kept me from it Have to make bigger raises live. The utg calls and everyone else folds. The flop is Axx and I C-bet 25 and he raises to 50. Mr. Green shirt is a donk but I swallow my pride and fold my worthless QQ face up. He shows me A-8 offsuit and I file this away for later. A girl comes in now and sits in the one seat, wanting to play for an hour before the tourney. The deck absolutely runs her over and she plays her cards well anyway. She's up close to $600 at 1:30 I decide to cash out and wait for the tourney a few minutes later as I dont want to get stacked this close to 2am and get pissed off. 5 1/2 hours, -$46.

You can re-enter the tourney as an alternate but I decide I'm only spending $60 more this trip and just the one buy in. If I can win about 100 bucks I will about even for the trip. Start with 4000 in chips. I order a Sobe and vodka to help keep me awake.

Hand #1 I have AQ in MP and raise it up to 60 (20 is the bb). Guy next to me calls and flop is 4-6-8 rainbow. I c-bet 100 and he calls. Turn is ace. I bet 250 and he calls. River is a 4 and I bet 250 again, show and win. Chip Leader baby.

Hand #3 I have A-7 suited and limp utg as I'm the only one who has raised to far. I get away with it, and the button and both blinds call. The flop is A-10-7 and the flop bets 60 and I make it 200. Turn is an ace. BB bets 250, I make 1000 and he pushes in. I call and he shows 77 and I'm doubled up early.

I win another big pot when some smart ass thinks I'm bluffing the whole way after I flopped a boat and he's telling me I have nothing but he calls the whole way and folds on the river. Who has nothing? I look over and the girl from the cash game is running up to re-enter the tourney. Myself and the guy in the 9 seat are running over the table. I'm doing it with solid starting hands and he's doing it with suited cards he pushes on the flop with and hits flushes on the turn-twice. He now has a bigger stack than I and we stay out of each other's way when possible the rest of the first hour.

Another Sobe and vodka please. There is a five dollar chip sitting on the floor near me and I'm deciding if I should pocket it or give it to the dealers when my drink arrives. I pick up the chip and give it to the waitress along with my one. Buying some Karma baby. I'm still running well 20 minutes into the 2nd hour when I play this hand like crap. The limits are 200-400 and I make it 1500 utg with ah-10h. The button moves in for like 4k and the bb insta calls. I tank and stupidly call rationalizing that I have a big stack and can still make some moves if I lose. The hands are AK and QQ and the QQ wins. This is by far the worst call I make all week and my stack is just above average now at 10K. A few hands later at 300-600, the aggressive guy raises a limper and now I have QQ. I call and he has AJ and I double up to 20. The girl from the cash game that re-bought moves to the 10 seat and has everyone at the table covered by a lot. I chop with the aggressive guy AJ v AJ I dwindle and fold most of the 500-1000 level and dont have much room to manuever.

3rd hour starts with 1k-2k and I only have about 12k in chips. The guy on my right has moved in twice in a row and does it a 3rd time when I have AQ. I call and the girl tanks and calls with 44. The other guy shows A-10 and for some reason I am surprisingly calm even with my bad luck in donkaments. I hit my Q on the river and triple up. The girl comments that she thought we both may be pusing with junk and had to call. I disagree, the first guy may have junk but I'm not calling him with crap. Have to know there are at least 3 if not 4 overcards to 44 and she's not much of a favorite anymore if at all.

We're down to about 9 players at 2 tables and we each lose 3 pretty quickly. I have about 30k and I take another 4k from a guy that played like 4 hands the whole tourney. A little to selective in starting hand requirements for a donkament there bud. The floor announces that when we get to 10, we will consolidate and before he's done talking, we each lose one and down to 9. It pays 6, 6th is about $125 and first is $700.

I order my final Sobe and Vodka for the final table and I'm about 3-4 in stack size with 3 of the 9 in bad shape. Down to 7 pretty quickly. When it gets here, it's suggested that first and second give whoever goes out in 7th-- $30 a piece so they get the money back on the bubble. It's agreed and the guy in 5th moves in with JJ. Another small stack calls him with A-6, hits his ace and we are down to 6. Shortest stack at the table moves in next and gets 2 callers. One of them wins and we are down to 5. It's 2-4k and I have about 23k. The utg player, who is the one that called me earlier with the A-8 in the cash game for $20 makes it $10k. I have QQ again, the most popular hand of the tourney and the same holding I had vs. him earlier, and move in risking my tourney life in 5th when 3rd should have been a pretty easy score. The BB who is the short stack calls with A-6? The utg has 88 and I show my QQ. An ace hits the flop and we both blank out. I lose the main but win the side and actually make a litte with 32K now. The previous short stack goes crazy with any ace now and pushes with A-7. The 88 guy now has my QQ (wtf?) calls and now we're at 4. Aggressive guy wins a few small pots and I'm now the short stack. However, he moves in with A-10 suited and I have AK and call. A king on the flop cripples him and he goes out 2 hands later. The final 3 are myself, the girl and the A-8 guy all from the same cash game. There were 48 entries and we were all in the same cash game a few hours earlier. Crazy game.

We move to 3-6K and all have about 60K in chips. The girl and I take turns attacking the 3rd player's blinds and whittle him down to about 20K. She finally finishes him off when they both move in with aces and her kicker plays. Serves you right for calling with Ace-rag all night. We both have about 90K, the blinds are moving to 4-8K and the payouts are first for $700 and second is $400. Neither one of us has won a Vegas tourney and want to play it out but decide to re-distribute the money to $500 and $600 since we're both so close in chips. We trade blinds for about 4 hands and the final hand comes up. She immediately goes all-in and I look down at JJ. Normally, this is a very easy call heads up but since I've watched her play for hours now in the cash game and the tourney, I know she has a strong holding and take a minute to think about it. I tank and ask her if she can beat QQ. She gulps hard and I immediately call. She has 10-10, me JJ, no help on the flop and she is left with 5k. I win the next hand and honestly don't even know what the cards are. Ship the $600 and the bracelet. You have just won the prestigious 2am Planet Hollywood donkament!! I give 7th place $30 and the dealers $20. The top 6 all agreed to the same amount of tip. This leaves me with $550 and minus the entry fee, I'm up $490 from the tourney. Hugs and kisses all around and I'm out the door for a few hours sleep before my flight. The money is great, I've won live tournaments and online before but it just feels different winning one in Vegas. Maybe this is just me but I'm floating right now after winning a 'Vegas tournament' even if it was a 2am donkament.

As soon as I walk outside, 3 hookers start to approach me. I grab my phone and put it my ear to call my wife (it's now after 7am where I live) with tales of tournament winnings and this repels them like garlic to a vampire. This happens twice more on the way to the hotel. I am approached, they see the phone and scatter. Tip-if you need to repel street girls, get on the cell phone. Today has been good. +767 in cash games and tourneys for the day. +452 for the trip. 3 sobe and vodkas that actually made me feel my heart pumping through my chest. I am extremely happy with being ahead at all after the week started so bad.

I drop 10 bucks in a rigged-automated roulette machine the next morning and off to the airport for an $11 cab ride. You have been warned lizard man.

Thanks for reading and for all the kind comments. I know this was extremely long and I hope you weren't bored along the way. Look forward to next year's trip with more friends in tow and being able to report back to you. Good luck to you all. See you at the tables.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Well done,hilarious report.Me and all the guys in work followed your progress with interest.
We've decided to chip in and adopt Bill( BTW is he house trained?)
Regards & Thanks

Ic152 (Ireland)
Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 AM

This goes down as one of the best trip reports I ever read. I can't wait for next years trip.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:24 AM

Great trip report! Fun to read. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 10:33 AM

yea, this is definitely one of the best reports ever

you write very good and put enough entertaining things throughout to keep us interested, good job.