Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Greek Mythology

Learn about it the fun way. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 09:06 PM

Heh yeah I was a reallllly big fan of AOE and AOK. Something about the AOM demo didn't appeal to me, not the M part obviously, more the graphics and gameplay. I dunno. I'll check it out again I think, thanks.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh yeah I was a reallllly big fan of AOE and AOK. Something about the AOM demo didn't appeal to me, not the M part obviously, more the graphics and gameplay. I dunno. I'll check it out again I think, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]You're completely right, except I actually bought the worthless game. AOE-AOK was great with AOKII Conquerors being Godly. The actual game about Gods, not so much.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 PM

Haha wtf, how is AOK so old? The Conquerors is 7 years old and will run on a P166. Jesus. I think I'm gonna pick it up as I never played it.

Alright, back on topic!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:25 PM

Learning Greek mythology in 4th grade is what set me on the path to Classic's grad school and teaching, great stuff!

riverboatking's suggestion of auditing a myth 101 course is a good idea, although you run the risk of them being incredibly boring. It might look silly, but a good place to start is D'ulaires book of Greek Myths - it has nice big pictures, but is also a required text for UVa's intro mythology course. If you don't mind textbooks too much, Powells "classical mythology" is decent and has a lot of primary sources.

El D's comment is also great, that area of mythology is fascinating. Joseph Campbell has written a lot of stuff about myth archetypes.

In terms of the essential primary sources the Iliad and Odyssey are of course must reads. Fagle's Odyssey is good as long as you're not a hard core snooty classicist, and for the Iliad Lattimore's translation is the standard. Ovid's Metamorphoses, although dense, is a great Latin version of all the myths. It all started with Hesiod's Theogoney, but that can get a little crazy.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 AM

Iliad > Aeneid > oddyssey.

don't read any encyclopedic. you're not going to enjoy learning that X is the god of Y that was song of Z. maybe a quick browse to get things straight in your head, then just get into a classic. classicist's reccomendations are all spot on.

To this day, my favorite thing I've ever done in school was reading the Aeneid in latin. I really regret not keeping up with it now and wish i could get back to reading level latin.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It might look silly, but a good place to start is D'ulaires book of Greek Myths

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man I read that over and over again when I was ten, and it ruled. I second this recommendation.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple">Joseph Campbell</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]