Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 05:04 PM

Default 77 against a steal

Hey everyone, thanks for the help. Still trying to get my bearings on a move from full ring.

Villian is 40/21/1.32 over 162 hands.

Full Tilt 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: 77 against a steal

Id call down. Tons of draws + potential for shenanigans on his part. Also, Is preflop standard for everyone? Its always close between 3 bet and call for me and I never know which is better.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Is preflop standard for everyone? Its always close between 3 bet and call for me and I never know which is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a guy with a pfr of 21 who's opening from the button, I think it's closer to a 3-bet than a call.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:45 PM

button raises puts you in the big blind here with 77 right? I dont care if the guys pfr% is 21 this is not a 3 bet out of the big blind, then having to play the hand OOP.

You should be looking more at his attempt to steal here I think, and then getting a range. Givin his 1.32 aggression factor though, it is much more likely that he hit this flop then is raising a draw.

If you are against his range of only 21% (as described as being important above) then your equity is only 44% on this flop. I could easily find a fold button here, and if I do call his raise, I'm folding most turns to another bet. 1.32 AF is simply too light to put this guy on a draw if he fires flop and turn.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
button raises puts you in the big blind here with 77 right? I dont care if the guys pfr% is 21 this is not a 3 bet out of the big blind, then having to play the hand OOP.

You should be looking more at his attempt to steal here I think, and then getting a range. Givin his 1.32 aggression factor though, it is much more likely that he hit this flop then is raising a draw.

If you are against his range of only 21% (as described as being important above) then your equity is only 44% on this flop. I could easily find a fold button here, and if I do call his raise, I'm folding most turns to another bet. 1.32 AF is simply too light to put this guy on a draw if he fires flop and turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.32 is aggressive from this guy. He has a VPIP of 40. For all you know, he could be 3 on the flop as well. This board is too coordinated to just give up on the flop. If the turn came the Jh, then I would consider giving up. In a blind defense though I'm not giving up easily.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:00 PM

I actually like to call with 55-77 here preflop and ch/r most flops. As played, I prolly call down, folding to maybe a J on the turn.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually like to call with 55-77 here preflop and ch/r most flops. As played, I prolly call down, folding to maybe a J on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 PM

I should have included his attempt to steal % because i'm pretty sure I checked it at the time, I usually do. It's 40% which makes me better than 55/45 against his range. I have an equity advantage down to 55 here.

Interesting idea about calling and c/r most flops, usually don't take that line but it sounds good. Don't you think they're is something to be said for getting your money in pf where you have a better idea that you're ahead? Alot of flops make 77 a dubious holding.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:34 PM

Even though 77 and say ATo are similar hands, value wise here, ATo plays so much cleaner on most flops that I'm more inclined to try and build a pot with it.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Stretch nice to see you posting. Since youre one of the best players on AP, it would be nice to see some more 2+2 action from you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My thoughts on this situation. Do we have an equity edge preflop? Obviously yes. Does that mean we should 3bet preflop? No, not at all. Am I against 3betting? No, not at all. Since we will almost always have an edge preflop, my decision on whether I 3bet or not preflop is almost solely dependent on how my opponent plays postflop.

For example: Lets look at the spot the hero is in right now. If this is an easy fold or a very easy +EV calldown then I like 3betting preflop. If this is a very tough situation for the hero to handle either becuz the hero lacks vital information or becuz the villain plays well postflop, then I like a call preflop.